Missing 3xGrandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing 3xGrandfather

I've looked high & low over 10yrs. Perhaps a new part of eye's might help.

William Skinner bpt. 10 May 1798 Holy Cross Pershore

Married Jane Martin 16 Nov 1817 Claines Worcs. He was a Glover.

Last child born to them 1843.

No record of him on any census from 1841 onwards.

On daughter's Marriage cert 1842. Charlotte Skinner m George Davies

His son's 1846. My 2xgrandfather this one took place in B'ham.

There is a Wm Skinner in Lichfield on 1861 a Postboy. Too old.

His wife is calling herself a widow on the 1851/61 census but he's on their other daughter's marriage cert. Oct 1859. A Glover????? Emma Skinner m William Pitt

Jane died 1866. Widow of William Skinner Glover.

All these records take place in Worcestershire.

Any Davies or Pitt ancestor's help.

Please could you give more details about the 1851 and 1861 entries for Jane Skinner? I need to find her on the census.

Comment

Maybe I've found her? Youngest child is Walter? Do you have a birth or baptism record for Walter?

Comment

I see lodger, William Terrell, is there in both 1841 and 1851.............I wonder how important he is?

Comment

How do you know when/where William Skinner was born if you don't have him on a census?

Comment

On the 1841 census there's a ten year gap between Edmund and Emma. Do you know if any more children were born in that gap?

Comment

There are three William Skinner deaths in Worcester which could be him.

1841 Worcestor
              1847 Pershore
              1851 Alcester
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                There are three William Skinner deaths in Worcester which could be him.

1841 Worcestor
                1847 Pershore
                1851 Alcester
                Or he might have died before civil reg if not all the children are his.

I wouldn't worry about him not being recorded as dec'd on his childrens marriage certs, if they married in church (many vicars didn't worry about that Q!).

Comment

Hi Monty,

Copy of Walter's birth cert 19 Nov 1843 gives William Skinner Glover as his father.
                  I.G.I record of William Skinner bpt. 10 May 1798. Copy of actual bapt. for Holy Cross Pershore.
                  All their children:
                  William bt: 13.2.1820 All Saints Worcs. Copy Bapt.
                  Charlotte bt: 4.2.1824 " "
                  Emma bt: 24.12.1824 " "
                  Alfred bt: 12.11.1827 St Martins Worcs "
                  Edmund bt: 1829 No trace after 1861
                  Henry bt: 26.2 1832 St Martins Worcs Died 15.12.1838 Copy bt & death
                  There was another Emma born 18.12 1840 copy birth cert.
                  All these are William's children. I've wondered about William Tevill he's a Glover. But he's down as a lodger.

I've tried for the 1841 death cert. but not a match. Just made out app.form for the 1847 cert.

Comment

Hmmmm....well I am aware of someone whose grandmother registered her child as her husband's despite the fact he had been dead 17 years! lol

Still we can't so easily say this is the case here, just because he isn't with her in 1841. I asked about the baptisms because it was sometimes harder to get an untruth past the vicar than the registrar (plus people were sometimes unhappy with lying to the vicar!)

Did William register any of those births?

Comment

Originally posted by shirleymay View Post

I.G.I record of William Skinner bpt. 10 May 1798. Copy of actual bapt. for Holy Cross Pershore.

But how do you know that's him? What if he came from Yeovil like Jane?

Comment

It is possible his death was between 1843 and 1851 but wasn't registered, or the registration didn't reach the GRO.

In those days it was the responsibility of the registrar to ensure all births and deaths were registered.

Comment

Do you know where Jane was buried?

Comment

Hi Monty,

William never registered either birth. I don't think he came from Yeovil too many Skinner's in Pershore. Using the 20+yr gap between generations I get back to 1738 in Pershore.
                            Jane's buried St. Martin's Worcs.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleymay View Post

William never registered either birth. I don't think he came from Yeovil too many Skinner's in Pershore. Using the 20+yr gap between generations I get back to 1738 in Pershore.
                              Jane's buried St. Martin's Worcs.
                              Maybe he didn't come from Yeovil though there are families called Skinner there on every census, including an Edward Skinner, b abt 1803 in Yeovil, who is a glover journeyman in 1841. There are 700 glovers in Yeovil in 1881. I just suggesting you keep an open mind.

I would say reckoning a 20+ year gap between generations is quite risky. I have father's well into their 60's all over my tree!!

Was Jane buried alone?

Comment

I will do that but as my 2xgrandfather was born in Worcs & his bpt. gives his mother & father as Jane & William. Found their marriage at Claines 1817 (first child b 1820). Janes on the 1841 with my 2x so I assumed William came from Worcestershire. I was surprised that they married in Worcs because marriages usually take place in the wife's Parish. Can't find any other Martin's to go with Jane. Although on a trip to Claines I was told there had been Martin's there in the past. So did her family move there & that was her Parish. Did go to Somerset Record Office last year & find what I hope was Jane's baptism but as I had my 93yr old Mom with me couldn't spend to much time searching.
                                When I found Jane's burial didn't have time to visit church to find plot. Live in Rhyl (b. Brum) so visit's have to fit in with visit's to mom. So I don't know if she is alone. She may have Harry her young son with her. Need to go again & to Hereford.

Comment

Working...
                                X