What do you think about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about this?

While looking through local parish baptism records today I came across one which could possible be connected to my research but could someone clarify the wording!

MARIA ANN SALMON ...mother Maria Bleak by Samuel bapt. 7/1/1798. Would you assume that the parents weren't married?

I have found a marriage on IGI of Samuel Salmon to Maria Blake (not Bleak) on 9/2/1798 but not in the same parish! Do you think it would be the same couple doing the honourable thing!!

Lesley

Looks quite possible to me

Jayne
    Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Hi Jayne, Thanks for your thoughts on subject!! Thought no one was talking to me!!
      Lesley

Comment

Sorry, not really ignoring you, looks to me as though vicar was naming the father! And they got married later, but obviousl didn't want to face that vicar again LOL!
        Mavis
        Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

I would think it very likely to be the same couple. I assume that they married in a nearby parish?
          Lynn

Comment

It would definitely be worth checking the original register for that marriage - it might just name the parish of the bride &/or groom, which would hopefully solve it!

Richard

Comment

If this is the baptism:

MARIA ANN SALMON
              Christening: 07 JAN 1798 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire, England
              Father: SAMUEL SALMON
              Mother: MARIA BLEAK

... and this the marriage:

SAMUEL SALMON
              Spouse: MARIA BLAKE
              Marriage: 09 FEB 1798 Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire, England

... then I would say it's very likely, since Portsea is just across the harbour from Gosport!

Richard
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 08-04-08, 07:22.

Comment

Morning Everyone. Thanks for your replies on my Maria/Samuel query. I was almost convinced it was the same couple but needed some more opinions. Richard, yes that is the couple I am looking at. Looks like I need the Parish records info to further my reseach. If it is them, they obviously couldn't face the vicar,like Mavis said, to perform the marriage so went elsewhere!!

Thanks again to you all for your comments.
                Lesley.

Comment

Working...
                X