Three witnesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three witnesses?

Why would there need to be three witnesses on a marriage cert? The bride and groom are described as "full age" , could it be to do with the possibility of their not being of age?

No, most likely they didn't want any of the three to feel left out. I have one with six, but I know some on here can beat that.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My grandparent's and my great-grandparents had 6 witnesses sign their marriage certificate, they just came from larg-ish families. No skeletons as far as I'm aware!

Comment

I've got one cert with four witnesses. I just assumed from who they were that it was the best man and 3 bridesmaids.

Although you need a minimum of 2, you can have more. Quaker marriages have all the people at the meeting on them.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

There is a marriage in the register for 1829, St. John Hampstead, that had so many that the names carried on into the next entry space, although whoever wrote the register had done their best to squeeze them into one! Well over twenty.
          Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
          X