Sturrocks in a haystack in Dundee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturrocks in a haystack in Dundee

I'm trying to work back from Thomas Sturrock (1829 to 1918).

From 1861 to 1901 he's in the western suburbs of Glasgow with his wife Euphemia Carse. I've found the births of their 12 children on the IGI. I know this is the correct family because the name Carse came down the family unto my M-i-L.

They married on 3 June 1853 in Dumbarton Parish Church after banns in both Dumbarton (IGI Batch M114967) and their home town of Liff & Benvie, Dundee (IGI Batch M113014 and OPR on ScotlandsPeople).

In 1851 he's with his family at 199 Hawkhill, Liff & Benvie aged 20 (mistranscribed on Ancestry as Stunock but OK on the SP image). His mother Cornelia (see below) is a widow by 1851.

I'm pretty sure I have his birth in Liff and baptism in Dundee on 15 Sep 1829 (IGI Batch C112828). That batch gives his siblings and his parents (Thomas Sturrock and Cornelia Tait). Poor Cornelia didn't know how to spell her name - she is Carolina at her marriage on 14 Dec 1825 (image from SP) and has been mistranscribed on Ancestry as Cornella from a rather poor image.

I can't find the Sturrock family at all in 1841, despite Forfarshire being heaving with Sturrocks. All I can find is an 11-year old Thomas Sturrock all on his own, adjacent to a family of Taits in Taits Lane, Liff & Benvie. A fresh contact on GR says she is descended from Cornelia's brother but the 1841 census has a Catherine Tait but no Cornelia.

Can anyone make sense of this for me please?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Cornelia would be a Sturrock by 1841 anyway, not a Tait, wouldn't she? What are the names and birth dates of Thomas jr's siblings so we can look for them, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes Kite, she would be a Sturrock (but sometimes wives are recorded by maiden name).

IGI Batch C112828 (Dundee parish register)
      William 18/11/1827 (not found in censuses)
      Thomas 15/9/1829 (1851 Hawkhill)
      Alexander Tait 27/11/1832 (1851 Hawkhill)
      Isabella 8/7/1835 (1851 Hawkhill, 1861 Taik (?Taits) Lane Liff & Benvie)
      John 10/10/1842 (1851 Hawkhill, 1861 Taik (?Taits) Lane Liff & Benvie)

Mother Cornelia/Cornella Sturrock (widow) is with the children in 1851 and 1861.

I can only find the censuses on SP and Ancestry, not on FreeCen.

Comment

Found this link on the FHS for Dundee ---- nothing to do with Cornelia but but might be of interest for you Tay Valley FHS : Library & Resources : Howff database

Comment

Thanks for the link. Nothing obvious there, though some of the causes of death have put me off my lunch!

Comment

possible Scotland 1841

Carnely Sturick 35
            Alexr Sturick 8
            Esebel Sturick 5
            William Sturick 13
            Elaine

Comment

Oh, well done, Elaine!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for your super-sleuthing Elaine. The image says exactly what Ancestry have transcribed. But the names and ages match so closely (and it's Hawkhill, where they were living in 1851) that I'll buy it.

Comment

So the only people unaccounted for in 1841 are Thomas Sturrock snr. and jnr. I suppose it's possible Thomas snr. died before the 1841 census but the birth of John in October 1842 with him as father makes that a tad unlikely.

My GR contact (a Tait descendant) claims that Thomas jnr. was in a separate household with a 60-year Tait, next door to a family of Taits. Having looked at the image I'm not so sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X