Probate lookups offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate lookups offered

I'm in London later this week & will be checking some probate records (& photographing some places of worship...not that I'm obssessed or anything)

If you can come up with a name, date & approx area of death (after 1858) I'll see what comes up.

Does no more than 2 each, for the first 3 people to reply sound fair? (Patbee & Pyghtle you are already on my list)

If you could have a look for Dorothy Shalless, death registered May 1993, Greenwich, London I should be most grateful. That would be great.

Thanks,

Ice

Comment

Will do. Hope to go on Wednesday, will definitely get back to you by the weeekend.

Comment

Marvellous, even if nothing there it helps a lot to know!

Ice

Comment

I'd be very glad of a couple of probate lookups - thanks for your kind offer!

1) James Ashman died 30 Jul 1910, Bath, Somerset
          2) Frederick Ashman died 1Q 1897, Bath, Somerset

Thanks very much!
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Fingers crossed that I find something for you this time.

Comment

Ooh, I've got a pile of them How many can I ask for?

I was hoping to do them myself when I was in England last summer, because I assumed the Records Office would have the Probate Calendar, but apparently it's only held by a few main Probate Offices - is that right? There doesn't seem to be one in Leicester.

Comment

OK, just noticed it's two each. I'll PM you the details.

Comment

Mary, lots of record offices do have it on microfiche up to 1943 or thereabouts. My local one in Nottingham also has bound volumes up to 1968.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks - I did ask at Leicester Record Office, but they didn't seem to know what I meant. They do have Leicester wills on microfiche, but I was interested in other places too.

Comment

Hi Jill,
                      Desperate for Donald Goodger RUSSELL - died 1978 in Dockenfield, Hampshire
                      Thanks for the offer.

Comment

Got all these requests noted, the list is now closed. I planned to go on Wednesday but due to illness in the family it may be next week instead. I will definitely get back to everybody by Wednesday of next week.

Comment

A big thank you to Jill for the look-ups, and a couple of questions for Jill or anyone else who might know the answer:

- where does the address given for the deceased in the Probate Calendar come from? Is it the address given in the will, or on the death cert, or just what the executor says?

- why would probate be taken out in London when the deceased and the executor both lived in Derby?

Comment

Can't help with that one I'm afraid, perhaps someone who has been an executor might know.

During the war years London wills were proved at Llandudno (that doesn't answer your question, but is just something I found out today)

Comment

Thanks, Jill.

Comment

I don't think the address given is necessarily the one in the will, because sometimes it will say "of AAAAA but formerly of BBBBBB" or something like that, which I take to mean "lived at BBBBBB when the will was written, but had moved to AAAAA by the time he died".
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I was puzzled because the address wasn't her usual one, but a quick google shows that there's a hospital in the road given as her address in the Probate Calendar, which may be the explanation.

Comment

Don't know what it will show for M-i-L who died last year. Will made in Glasgow, lived in sheltered housing here but died in a nursing home.
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I may be too late here, but if not, Ive always wondered about a couple of my Hansons.

James William Hanson died 8 October 1909 21 Acorn Street, Camberwell (My GGFx2)

and his father:

James Hanson died 2 June 1886 1 Stanton Terrace, Crownfield Road, Wanstead, Leyton, Essex

Many thanks. Both were in business but Ive never seen a will.

Comment

Heather - I went yesterday, I'll be going again in the summer so I'll be putting another thread up offering again nearer the time.

Comment

Working...
                                        X