Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I burn my completed FTM on to a CD rom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I burn my completed FTM on to a CD rom?

Thought I had lost my FTM for my friend's extensive tree...in tidying up my desktop, found the right icon and all there (not like me...)

Now inputting my family tree.

To send my tree to relatives, can I download it on to a blank CD rom?
    Do they have to have the FTM software installed to read it?

If I can do this, how do I differentiate between my pal's tree and mine as he will want his downloaded for his family too?

I am just a beginner on this.

When I am really, really sure it is right, I will then try and master exporting GEDCOm etc.

One step at a time. Will have to sign off now, back on this evening...got some churches to photograph while weather good...Liz
    Liz

If you want to share your tree with others there are various ways of doing it.
    • If they have FTM on their computer then you can just send a copy of your master file which they an open in FTM. The filename will have FTW as the extension.
    • If they dont have FTM then you will need to send it in GEDCOM format, and they will have to install a family history program in order to be able to open it. There are a couple of free ones available, PAF and Family Historian being the most popular.
    • Alternatively you could make a home page from FTM - very easy to do - FTM does all the hard work - you just press the right buttons. This can be password protected if you wish, and the password just given to those family members of friends that choose. You can only upload one tree onto a FTM home page.
    • Tribal Pages is another alternative - upload your tree and others can view it online. I am not a Tribal Pages user but I think you can have as many trees as you want - there is a free facility and a paying facility - not sure what the difference is!
    • Ancestry also offers a tree facility - again I haven't used it but I know many people do. It can be password protected to keep it private should you wish.

How to differentiate between trees - they are called by a different file name.
    Yours might be LIZ tree.FTW - your friends might be FRIEND tree.FTW
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine...just popped in before signing off...that's sounds the best idea. Once uploaded on to one of these options, can I update/correct the info on there?

Thanks Liz
      Liz

Comment

Liz, Im a bit confused here - do you own the FTM program - that is, have you bought and registered a program of your own?

Comment

Liz,

If you put your tree on a FTM home page then you can upload a new version as and when you like.
          If you put your tree on a site such as Ancestry or Tribal Pages, then you can update it by exporting a new gedcom from FTM to Ancestry/TB. Both of these options can also be updated directly, that is not through FTM.

However - I would strongly recommend that if you have FTM on your computer you use that as the tree you update - it is your master file and is under your own control on your own computer - you have no one else to blame (other than yourself) if the tree is lost! If you keep your master tree on an external site, and something goes wrong with that site, then your information could be lost.
          Elaine

Comment

I have FTM on my pooter and putting my tree on it (my pal's already on it).

Want to allow my family to see mine and his family to see his...

Once I have exported a GEDCOM anywhere...say I discover something is wrong on it...or want to add to it...do I just correct on my pooter FTM and re-export the lot again.

This is my first step on the ladder of GEDCOMS etc so be gentle wiv me... Liz
            Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Liz from Lancs View Post

Once I have exported a GEDCOM anywhere...say I discover something is wrong on it...or want to add to it...do I just correct on my pooter FTM and re-export the lot again.
              Yes - that's exactly right. Always keep the master copy of your tree on FTM on your own computer (and backed up regularly).
              When you want to update or change information you have on a Tribal Pages or Ancestry tree then all you need to do is to upload a new gedcom to it.
              Not having used Tribal Pages or Ancestry I am not sure whether you need to remove the previous gedcom, or whether the new one will overwrite the old one.

...and of course once you have mastered the act of exporting a gedcom file then you can add yours to the NamesDatabase on FTF!
              Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I know I know...of course greater than my fear of the technology is my fear that I got it all wrong!! Think of the mis information I could spread at the touch of a key! Mind you, can't be worse than Ancestry's mistranscribing on a grand scale!

Watch this space...Liz
                Liz

Comment

Liz, just make sure you back up your info to a cd and to your homepage - internet storage aswell if you have it.

Comment

Will do Heather, it seems to have its own back up but will get on to USB stick. I take it that I can play a CD rom with it on as I have FTM software installed? Thanks Liz
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X