Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two baptisms on IGI which is the right one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two baptisms on IGI which is the right one?

I used the Hugh Wallis batch no site & came up with a little cluster of HUCKS in Bermondsey, all baptised at St Mary Magdalene.

However, on the Familysearch site they have two entries for George Hucks, one says his parents were John & Sarah Hucks, the other his parents were Samuel & Hannah Hucks.

Both entries give his birth as 5/7/1811 baptised 11/8/1811.

Who are his parents then?

Any ideas as to which is the correct entry? I don't think there could be two Georges born & baptised on the same day so he must belong to one or the other set of parents!

Help!
    Thanks

Last edited by Joan of Archives; 06-04-08, 21:17.

Joanie

Joan

As one is an extracted record and the other submitted, I would stick with the extracted one!

OC

Comment

I can only find the 1811 entry where the parents are John and Sarah

I can see other children for Samuel and Hannah, but no George and none in 1811 (1801, 1802, 1805, 1809 and 1810)

So what are you looking at? (or how did you find it???)

Comment

Merry

I think Joan was looking at "All resources" and found the second entry in a Pedigree File.

OC

Comment

Hi Merry

If you put George Hucks birth circa 1812 +/- 2 in search you get the pedigree resource one & the IGI one.

Sorry to be thick OC but which one is the extracted one?

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

OC/Merry

Can you tell me if I am right in thinking that if I order the film from the LDS this is the right one for the baptisms in St Mary Magdalene for the relevant years?

St. Mary, baptisms, marriages, burials, 1801-1814. - FHL BRITISH Film [ 254552 ]

Thanks

Joanie

Comment

You can usually tell by the Source info on an IGI entry. It usually says whether it's from someone's submission or from a batch of Register transcriptions.

If you explore the Wiki, I think there's some info there.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Joan

No, that doesn't look like the right number - I'll just go check!

EDIT - Sorry, yes it IS the right number! I was thinking batch numbers, durh.

Incidentally, Hugh Wallis uses ONLY extracted records, so anything you find via that gateway should be an extracted record. (There are a very few exceptions to this rule, mostly mistakes in batch numbering)

However, as Christine says, it says on the page if it is an EXTRACTED record. If you cannot see the word extracted on the page, be very wary.

OC
                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 06-04-08, 21:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                  Hi Merry

If you put George Hucks birth circa 1812 +/- 2 in search you get the pedigree resource one & the IGI one.

Sorry to be thick OC but which one is the extracted one?

Thanks!
                  Ah, I never bother to even look at the pedigree resource entreis!

The extracted one is the one that says: Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. (Under messages). That's the one with parents John and Sarah.

Comment

The one with John and Sarah Hucks as parents is the extracted one.

You can tell, because at the bottom of the page it says:

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Comment

Snap

Comment

The film number that Joan gave looks right to me - why didn't you think so, OC?

Comment

Mary

Cos I'm an idiot, that's why! See my edit, lol.

OC

Comment

LOL !!

Thanks everyone!

I thought he couldn't be Samuel's son because he named all his children things like Orlando, Jacob Humbert, Cordelia & Adelaide

Mind you if they are right, my John & Sarah had a Knowler Hucks (what was that about? lol!)

Now another question for you, how do I go about linking my John to Samuel ? I can't find anything on them as the PRs only seem to be available after 1801 but I am convinced they were related, cousins or even brothers. Someone suggested the LMA but I can't get down there, & I need to find out who their parents were.

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Docklands Ancestors have some of the St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey baptisms
                              ParishRegister.com

It says it covers 1782 to 1829, and there are lots of Hucks in there!
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

TNA have a Will for a Samuel Hucks in 1788 in St Mary Magdalene

That might possibly give clues as to other Hucks in the area and who you could be searching for.
                                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Pallots have a marriage for Samuel Hucks to Hannah Gray in 1787 bermondsey

Others in Bermondsey:

Robert Hucks Ann Hodson 1786
                                  Elizabeth Hucks Aaron Langman 1798
                                  Ann Hucks George Stephens 1810
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thanks Zoe

I have downloaded that will, sadly it doesn't mention my John but Samuel leaves his business to his son Samuel. They were all coopers in the same area, including my John, so it is a bit confusing.

There is a will for a Sarah Hucks in 1810 in Dulwich Surrey but I don't know how far that is from Bermondsey?

Kite I have looked at that site before but I don't know if it is a safe site to order from? I thought someone said once that there was a security issue with it?

Joanie

Comment

If anyone wants to have a go at reading this will then pm me your email addy & I will attach a copy for you as it is very difficult for me to read!

Thanks
                                      :o

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post

There is a will for a Sarah Hucks in 1810 in Dulwich Surrey but I don't know how far that is from Bermondsey?

It's only about 4 miles away. Google maps is good for finding that kind of information.

dulwich uk - Google Maps

Comment

Working...
                                        X