Where in 1891?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where in 1891?

Thomas MARSDEN married Sarah A Kirkham, at Prestbury St Peter (1881-1885).

In 1901 the family are at 20, Violet St, Widnes, Lancs:

Thomas Marsden H M 41 Railway Inspector, born Macclesfield
    Sarah A wife 39 Macclesfield
    William son 17 "
    Emily dau 11 "
    Edith dau 1 Widnes.

In 1891, I find Thomas living as a boarder with his married sister,in Widnes, both born Bollington, Cheshire (correct). But I cannot find Sarah A, William (registered 1883) and Emily (registered 1890) in 1891!

Please can someone with a brain have a look for them? (I am worried about the ten year gap between the two youngest children in 1901.)

OC

I'm wondering if some of Macclesfield District is missing in some years?

1861 69,000 people

1871 68,000 people

1881 50,000 people

1891 50,000 people

1901 75,000 people

I can't find them, by the way!!

Comment

Thanks for looking Merry - at least I know it's not me being thick! It does sound as if there are some missing sheets in 1891 - off for a look.

OC

Comment

Sorry OC I cant see them, but I cant find much in 1891! There must be lots of entries missed.

]

Comment

Have you seen these (here: Publications

Title: 1851 Census of Cheshire, Volume 3: East Macclesfield, Hurdsfield and Bollington
          Description: High quality scanned images of the original returns, with surname indexes. The viewer is Adobe Acrobat 4.0, included on the CD.
          Price: £20.00
          Author: Family History Society of Cheshire
          Date: 2001

1851 Census of Cheshire, Volume 4: West Macclesfield and Sutton
          Title: 1851 Census of Cheshire, Volume 4: West Macclesfield and Sutton
          Description: High quality scanned images of the original returns, with surname indexes. The viewer is Adobe Acrobat 4.0, included on the CD.
          Price: £20.00
          Author: Family History Society of Cheshire
          Date: 2001
          Not cheap - but (possibly) useful if you have numbers of folks in the area, and they are missing from Ancestry or whatever.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looking here:
            FHSC Book Publications

It suggests that these are the piece numbers you should be looking for...
            FHSC PUBLICATIONS UK (incl. postage) /Overseas Surface /Overseas Airmail
            Vol. 3. Macclesfield district (HO 107/2158-2159) 3.25 /3.75 /4.25
            Vol. 4. Macclesfield district (HO 107/2160-2161) 3.25 /3.75 /4.25
            Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Chrsitine

It is 1891 I can't find!

However, I will make a note of the 1851 stuff as it may come in useful for the other Bollington bods - thankyou!

OC

Comment

I'd say there's a bit of a problem with the 1891. If you search just Marsden, you get a heap of corrections, and some other obvious mistranscriptons.

Still can't find any Emily born Macclesfield abt 1890 who fit and there's no Samuel who fits.
                No William either.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Chrsitine

It is 1891 I can't find!

However, I will make a note of the 1851 stuff as it may come in useful for the other Bollington bods - thankyou!

OC
                  Sorry - I had an attack of auto-pilot (and not a very good auto-pilot, at that!). I completely failed to register the specific years bit.

But I did have a feeling that I had already read on one of the regional Records Office ?archives ?FHS sites that there were unfilmed pages for some census(es) for which they had local copies, and I'd thought that it was Manchester... in which case the same might hold true for Macclesfield.

Tried googling, didn't find what I was looking for, and then allowed myself to be decoyed/diverted.

Christine

Comment

Christine

Don't worry, I divert all the time and often wonder what it is that I have found when I find it, lol.

1851 census for Lancashire has lots of missing bits - the "wet census" - most of which has been restored now.

Libby

Bizarre isn't it - Marsden is such a simple name! When I am feeling a bit brighter, I will plod through the district as they have obviously been horribly mistranscribed.

OC

Comment

Working...
                    X