Could this be a Turkish name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this be a Turkish name?

I think I have found a marriage for a (living) fairly distant relative. His wife's name at the marriage is shown as Hasan. I always thought that she had been previously married to a Turkish Cypriot, so could this name be right?
    I am trawling through the marriages on Ancestry at the moment, hoping she was married in England, but no luck so far. I think there were children from this marriage, but haven't found their births yet either. I don't know her maiden (birth) name, so looking up her birth is very difficult. I know she was born in England.

Any ideas please?
    Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 05-04-08, 14:22.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Hi there,Sue.
    Woo hoo a question I am qualified to answer for once.
    Hasan is definitely a Turkish Cypriot surname.They often have these 'first name' surnames, wheras mainland Turks usually go for the usual mix of placename, occupation, ''son of'' or nickname.
    I hope this helps, as it is usually me who has to ask the questions!
    all the best
    Janexxx
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

HASAN
      Gender: Masculine Usage: Arabic Other Scripts: حسن (Arabic)
      Means "handsome", derived from Arabic حسن (hasuna) "to be beautiful, to be good". Hasan was the son of Ali and the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad. He was poisoned by one of his wives and is regarded as a martyr by Shiite Muslims.
      Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Thank you Jane and Jean

Does having a name like that mean he was likely to be a Muslim do you think? I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but if he was Muslim would they be able to divorce or would she have to be widowed before marrying again?

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Hi again,
          Turkish Cypriots are Muslim indeed. Muslims can have a divorce with no problem, Turkish Cypriots are very moderate in their religious views and I should say most willing to comply with British civil law. A divorce in Cyprus would also be civil. In Turkey at least a purely religious divorce is not valid, just as a religious marriage is not valid.

Comment

Thank you very much for that information Jane.

That's very interesting. I'm ashamed to say I didn't know any of that.

Thanks again

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Why should you know, Sue, it's a bit obscure, and I only know because I've lived in Turkey for yonks, lol
              Janexxx

Comment

Working...
              X