Harris, Alverstoke Gosport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harris, Alverstoke Gosport

5Xg grandparents William Harris and Jane Bathia Collins (Married Alverstoke 1787)

Children:

Thomas Harris c.1788 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire
    Mary Ann Harris c.1789 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire
    John Harris c.1791 Holy Trinity, Gosport, Hampshire
    Charles Harris c.1793 High Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire
    William Harris c.1795 High Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire
    Camilla Harris c.1797 High Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire
    Ann Harris c.1800 High Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire
    William Harris c.1802 High Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire
    Joseph Harris B.1804 (c. 1823 aged 19) High-Street Independent, Gosport, Hampshire

Family obviously switched from the C of E to the non conformist church around 1792/3. Accordingly Jane, when buried aged 93 (1856), was buried in unconsecrated plot of the local cemetery. On last census I can find her (1841) she is living with her son John, a school teacher and wife Mary Catherine, so presumably was already widowed then. Lesley (Punchsmum) who was kind enough to do the burial look ups for me, was also kind enough to go and view the actual grave and Jane is bured in a grave with John and his wife, and also Joseph (youngest son) and his wife and daughter. However hubby/father William is not with them.

The only burial Lesley could find between 1804-1841 for a William Harris was in 1833, aged 78, at St Marys, Gosport.

Here's the thing there are two Williams baptised Holy trinity Gosport:

William son of John and Martha baptised 1756
    &
    William son of John and Sarah baptised 1761

The first William is clearly the one buried at St Marys 1833 that Lesley found right age. I'm wondering if this really is my William though. The second would be closer in age to Jane Bathia, and I'm wondering why if the family were non conformist post 1793, would he have been buried apart from his family and in a C of E? It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Any thoughts suggestions please, a bit lost with how best to proceed. Thanks
    Last edited by Richard; 04-04-08, 20:42.

There may not have been anywhere else to bury him, other than the C of E churchyard. Do you know when the cemetery opened?

How certain are you he was buried in Gosport?

Do you know his occupation?

Comment

Merry, not sure when the cemetery opened will have to try and find that out somehow, I suppose it's possible there was an unconsecrated 'patch' in St Marys, that was used before if it opened later (though his burial apparantly does not note unconsecrated which you'd think it would?)

I'm fairly certain he would be buried in Alverstoke/Gosport, as I have no real evidence yet the family strayed outside the area in any other records, he was 'of the parish' on the wedding in 1787, so was probably born there.

Unfortunately since he died before 1841, don't have a clue what his occupation would be, his wedding entry 1787 does not say, and his wife is simply buried as a widow...not helpfully as a widow of a 'carpenter' 'bookbinder' etc!

Comment

Actually one possible avenue, William and Janes marriage in 1787 was by License. Would the License Allegation likely give parents info? Forgive my ignorance, but not been down that route before.

Comment

"Of this Parish" doesn't necessarily indicate birth place. To qualify you only needed to prove a short residence in the Parish. I am sure one of our Brainiacs will tell you how long the qualifying period was.

Holy Trinity was built as an outpost of St Mary's, Alverstoke for the convenience of the Townies. The Parish of Gosport didn't exist. There are a few other Churches on the Gosport Peninsula, but the only other Parish is Rowner.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Richard, Anns Hill Cemetery was opened in 1855 so obviously too late for Williams burial but just right for Jane Barthia's!

Lesley

Comment

Lesley, thanks again! That may clear it up then, perhaps Merrys theory is right after all.

Had a look at the marriage allegation (did not realise ancestry had these in their collections until tonight)

Harris, William, of Gosport, gent., & Jane-Bathia Collings, of Alverstoke, 21, sp., at Alverstoke, 04 Feb 1787.

'gent' nearest thing to an occupation and no parents names unfortunately.

Comment

The main thing being that he wasn't (apparently) a mariner. They don't go in for death certs :(

Comment

Yes, suppose that's a small blessing!

Comment

Working...
                  X