WARNING - stored photocopies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING - stored photocopies.

I sent for some Wills last year, extracted the information and then put the Wills in the relevant folder.

I just went to check something and to my horror, the ink on the photocopies is now fading fast - they have all gone sort of pale brown.

I have now done several photocopies and scans and am off to check all my other photocopied docs!

OC

That's one of the reasons I scan everything!!

I still have photocopies from when I was at school (ages ago!) which have not faded. Maybe the ink used for yours was of poor quality?

Comment

How old were they,OC?
      *panics mildly*
      To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Were they from York, OC? I think you would have grounds to complain if you only got them last year :(. If nobody tells them they might not know the ink they are/were using fades.

Anne

Comment

Modern photocopies shouldn't fade. The toner is carbon-based. But older fax machines did use thermal paper which does fade. And way back in time there were processes other than Xerox which were liable to fade.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Sorry OC, ignore my daft question which you had already answered anyway...
            To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

No, this was Cheshire Records Office and I got them late last year. Do you think I should drop them a line about this? After all, if they don't know then they won't know!

It IS just these two documents - I have other stuff from Cheshire RO which is older than this and that is fine.

OC

Comment

I'd drop them a line, make it polite, but not happy (!!) -they're the only one's that have faded; give them the details and they might do them again for free.
                Mavis
                Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Could be that the copier was faulty that day and then got serviced. I'd certainly take itup with them.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It's important to give them the feedback - otherwise they won't know there's been a problem.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                    X