Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I safe assuming this from marr cert and IGI on Sinclair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I safe assuming this from marr cert and IGI on Sinclair?

With your help, found the marr. ref. for Alexander Sinclair and Louisa Jones and now have the cert.

MARRIAGE CERT: 29.10.1839 At The Cathedral Church, Parish of Llandaff, Glam.

Alexander Sinclair, full age, bachelor, Contractor, residence: Llandaff. Fa: John Sinclair, Contractor.
    to Louisa Jones, full age, spinster, residence: Llandaff. Fa: James Jones, Shopkeeper.

Witnesses: John Schofield and the mark of Kizia Jones. (Alexander named his dau Kezia).

A/c to censuses, Alexander was born around 1815 Inverness and Louisa around 1815 Wells/Frome, Somerset.

IGI - have copied all the Sinclairs in Inverness(shire) and the only one with right year of birth is:

Alexander Sinclair Chr: 14/4/1815 Inverness
    Fa: John Sinclair Mo: Christian McDonald

His father on IGI is same name as on marr. cert. Can't find marriage on IGI for John Sinclair and Christian. But there is a possible entry for John:

John Sinclar Chr: 20/12/1776
    Parents: Fa: John Sincla(i)r Mo: Kathere(a)nie or Katherine Munro

Have all the siblings chr. with these same parents. Parents' marriage:

John Sinclair + Katherine Munro 26/5/1772. All in Inverness.

Variations on sp on IGI: Sinkler, Sincler, Sincklar, Sinclar.
    on Ancestry: La Clair...

WITNESS to marr: Can't find anything conclusive for John Schofield in either Eng or Wales 1841 census or later.
    Kezia Jones (no Kizia on Ancestry) No match in 1841 Wales census. Only one with likely year of birth:

1841 Census: Kezia Jones b1801 (says not born in Bath/Som) Green grocer. Civil par: Walcot. Hundred: Bath Forum, Somerset

Can’t find her clearly in Marr or Death or later census.

It might be significant that if Kezia above is Louisa’s sister, their father’s occup is shop keeper on Louisa’s Marr Cert and Kezia is a greengrocer. Family business?

Can't find Louisa's father. Can’t find Jones on Batch Nos Wells/Frome IGI – only non-conformist on.

There is this submitted IGI which looks correct:

IGI: Louisa Jones Chr: 25/12/1812 Wells, Somerset.
    Fa: James Jones Mo: Elizabeth (submitted)

(Both parents' names correct a/c to marr cert and census 1851 where widowed Elizabeth staying with Alexander and Louisa.)

An aside: Can anyone read Elizabeth Jones's birth place on 1851 England census: Search under either A Laclair b1813 Scotland or Lucy La Clair b1813 Wells, Som. Civil par Bridgwater, Somerset. She is with them.

To me it looks like Landello. I want it to be Llandaff where Alexander married but if you look further up the census image to where Cardiff is written, they are more els than efs.

No rush on this and I have to go out this pm. Back on later today.
    Thanks for reading this and any thoughts. Liz
    Liz

Liz

Regarding your last point (and it helps that there's only one Laclair hit on Ancestry, lol)
    I tried to get on but failed. Ancestry is giving me a Database id or database name specified incorrectly or the database is no longer valid message. I'll try again later.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Right, just got to image. It could be Llandaff - but if I wasn't expecting it to be Llandaff my first reaction would be that it says Llandollo and I would probably assume enumerator was trying to write Llandeilo. However, Llandeilo is in Carmarthenshire, so I would guess Llandaff is the right place, just badly written.

Sorry that doesn't help you, does it!

Comment

If James Jones was a shopkeeper, you might be lucky and find him in a directory!

Comment

Oh, there;s a Llandeilo Talybont in Glamorgan!

Genuki has some directories for Llandaff (not of course the years you want!)

GENUKI: Llandaff

Comment

Looks like Landolls to me. Don't have any idea of the area so not sure.

If you look at the double"L" and squint a bit there are tiny marks like the tail on an "f".

Might be wishful thinking.

Comment

Thanks folks...just popped back. I've googled all the permutations of Landolls. Usually anything beginning with L is accompanied by a second 'l' in Welsh place names??

And I know Wales a bit...me Mum coming from there...

Nell - that's an idea...now Jones in Wales...leave it till feeling strong.

Have more or less reconciled that this is as far as I can get. Liz
              Liz

Comment

I think any Welsh placename with ?an will be Llan. A Llan is an enclosure and is used to describe the area round a church, but of course there are zillions of Llan- placenames in Glamorgan.

Looking for Jones in Wales does require strength.

Have you considered looking for Elizabeth's death - presumably in Wells? Her death cert would confirm her husband's name and occupation.

Comment

One thing - if Louisa was born in Wells and is living there in 1851, why would she go to Llandaff at all?

Comment

WELLS and WALES sound worryingly similar to me!

OC

Comment

Hm OC. Could be the IGI has the wrong info regarding birthplace. I was sidetracked by the Somerset connection.

Comment

Thanks for looking at this. Elizabeth's daughter, Louisa, her husband Alexander and their children, moved from Cardiff to Bridgwater and back to Glamorgan...tell by the birthplaces of the children and the later census. Alexander was a railway lab so perhaps more mobile. The family went on to have several engine drivers.

On all the census, Louisa's b place is Wells or Frome and followed by Somerset.

Children: Elizabeth b1841 in Cardiff, they moved to Somserset 1842 and back to Cardiff by Louisa’s birth in 1855. Alexander was a widower by 1881 census:

BMD Death: Louisa Sinclair b1816 Year of Reg 12/1876 Cardiff.

I've tracked Elizabeth's son Uriah with wife Emma.

I am lucky that folk on here helped me find the marriage between Alexander and Louisa...I am further on than I thought was poss with the Jones and Sinclairs.

Liz
                        Liz

Comment

Working...
                        X