anyone else encountered this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else encountered this problem?

hi...i need some advice off someone who may have encountered this problem...through igi i have John Merrick b abt 1689 married Ann Jeffs b abt 1695...born in a small village called Norton Canon,Herefordshire.....
    Sally,one of our members,very kindly offered to go to Norton Canon and take photographs of the church and any Merrick gravestones,if they were there....well...she found JOHN MERRICK b 1687..DIED AGED 55 IN 1742....on the other side of the tomb it says..wife SARAH died aged 37 in 1725.......sally has very kindly sent me photographs of the tombstone......i`m convinced this is my John Merrick in such a little village.........but i have Ann Jeffs...the stone says Sarah..........any advice...i suppose John could have married twice,but surely Ann would have been in the grave as well...confused...allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 03-04-08, 23:12.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Erm, how could they have been married if their lives didn't overlap??!

Comment

Ah....1725???

Comment

Step one would be to check the PR for Sarah's burial to see what info that gave (if any)

Comment

Nothing on the NBI

Comment

I have a similar but more recent example. My gr gr uncle married a widow. In the churchyard there is a separate grave for her first husband, her second husband then died, and many years later she died and was buried with her second husband. I think it quite likely that there is a separate grave John's wife Ann, his second wife Sarah then died and when John died he was buried with Sarah.

Jane

Comment

Allan

I would be absolutely astonished if there WASN'T more than one John Merrick in the village!

OC

Comment

This seems strange....I had presumed your typing the year 1825 was a typo for 1725, but......

The IGI has two baps for children of John and Anne in 1725 and 1727.

They also have four baps for children of John and Sarah in 1818, 1819, 1822 and 1825.

There's the marriage of John to Ann Jeffs in 1716 and a marriage to Sarah Ferrar in 1815. Did you type the wrong century or are these records just a coincidence?

Comment

Try doing a search on Family History Online:

FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia

There are burial entries for both a Sarah and an Ann Merrick in Herefordshire at about the right time. The husband's name may not be given, though.

Comment

sincere apologies for the typing error...i`ve now corrected it....OC..do you think there could be 2 John Merricks in Norton Canon within 2 years for dob`s?1687 & 1689?...i have to admit,i have 34 merricks from Norton Canon from 1670 to 1855..and they are only my ancestors...i do not have the marriages and children of any siblings of my DIRECT ancestors..so there were probably many many more...i never gave this a thought...my Direct 7 x g grandparents were JOHN MERRICK and ANN JEFFS married 1716,so maybe i have jumped the gun thinking this tombstone is MY JOHN MERRICK...still a little baffled....thanks to you all again...allan:o
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan

Yes, perfectly possible - cousins etc. This happens all the time in my family in the years when they all stuck to the traditional naming patterns.

On the other hand, it could be the same man, married twice. You really need to get at the parish records and do some mini-trees to sort this out.

OC

Comment

Definitely a possible there are two chaps with same name. Whichford is a tiny village in Warwickshire and when my gt x 3 grandparents Richard & Anne Matthews were having various children, there was another couple called Richard & Anne Matthews.

Similarly, in Langham, Norfolk, there are two Mark Barnes at the same time which was confusing for me.

After all the same names recur in families. If an ancestor called John Merrick had 5 children who all had sons they named after their dad, that's 5 John Merricks to start with, who could all have sons called John Merrick etc.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have cousins with the same name, about the same age, living next door to each other in a small village. I can imagine when mum called them they always claimed they thought it was the other one being called. LOL
                          Mavis
                          Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

I'm sure that all our rural rellies had nicknames. There are so few first names to go round and most of the surnames are duplicated.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In one of my families they helpfully named one child Septimus. As far as I can tell he was the 9th. or 10th. child without enough prior infant deaths to bring him up to number 7.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi there Garstonite - tis me with the camera! I have read this thread with interest, and the only information that I can add is that this tomb was the ONLY one with the Merrick name on it. I also have to point out that it WAS a tomb, and not just a gravestone, and none of the other tombs were related. If your man came from this village, then there were no other obvious burials
                                Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Working...
                                X