Marital status on death certs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marital status on death certs

I've just received what I was hoping was going to be the death cert of my 3xG-grandmother.

However, although the age (73) and area (Manchester) are right, the lady in the cert died in the workhouse, and no marital status is given, only her occupation.

Does this necessarily mean she was a spinster? I've always found widows' husbands' names shown on ther death certs before.

The informant was a workhouse employee, so he's no help.

Well, it might mean she wasn't married, or it could just mean that the informant didn't have any information to give.

When was the death - could we check on censuses to find her?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The lady was Jane Schofield née ?, born Warrington c. 1801 but lived mostly in Hulme, and the death was in Withington Workhouse, registered in the Chorlton reg. district in 1874.

I have her on the 1851 census (possible), 1861 (definite) and 1871 (possible), but there's no sign of her in 1881, which is why I was looking for a death between 1871 and 1881.

She's shown as a widowed charwoman in 1851 and 1861 and a factory operative on the death cert, so it may not be the same person.

Husband may be John, but I'm not even absolutely sure of that. I'm descended from her daughter Mary Anne, b. Manchester c 1832.

Unfortunately Schofield's a very common name around Manchester.

I think I might put up a separate thread with all the census and other information I have, in case anyone with a bit of time to spare wants to have a look. I'm having particular trouble finding her in 1841, when I was hoping to find her with a husband, and maybe some siblings for Mary Ann born after 1837.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-04-08, 17:01.

Comment

Hm. Had a quick scout round 1841 and I see what you mean!

Comment

Yes, I have a go at it every so often, and get discouraged :(

Comment

Mary, usually on a spinster's death cert it would say "daughter of ... " with her father's name, so I don't think you can assume one thing or the other from the fact that it doesn't say her marital status.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

No, I guess you're right that I can't assume anything just from that.

Another cert that arrived at the same time, for a death registered in a different district, did say "spinster".

Anyway, I'll try e-mailing Manchester archives to see if they have the workhouse records.

Comment

My gt gt aunt Edith died unmarried and her death cert doesn't give any information about her father.

Mary - I do hope you can find out whether or not this is your lady.

Comment

I'm afraid it's going to be difficult. There are at least four of us looking (all descended through different lines), and nobody's had any luck yet.

And the other side of the family (her daughter's husband) is just as bad - Grimshaws from Manchester.

Comment

Working...
                  X