Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sir Isaac Newton - a case of wishful thinking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Isaac Newton - a case of wishful thinking!

OH has a Newton branch from Lincolnshire, with which I'm having a certain amount of success. I can get back to 1730 at the moment, but will need to get back to Lincoln to see the Bishops' Transcripts again.

Out of curiosity, I have been viewing peoples' public trees on Ancestry.

One person claims a connection through Sir Isaac's "uncle", who they assert was born in 1589 and died in 1701 (!!!) aged 112 !! in Southborough Worcester Mass. USA.

This "uncle" was born in Suffolk. Sir Isaac's father Isaac was born in Lincolnshire.

A case of wishful thinking?!
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Definitely! Peter Ackroyd's biography of Newton says the family were of Lincolnshire stock who rose to become yeomen farmers. The ancestry can be traced only back to John Newton, who'd lived in a Lincs village 100 years before Isaac's birth.

However it does say that Newton's grandmother claimed they were connected to a baronet, so nothing new in trying to grandiose ones' forebears!

The only uncle mentioned in the biography is Rev. William Ayscough, his mother's brother, who recognised Isaac's abilities and decided he should go to university.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I may have mentioned a bizarre finding on familysearch, when I was looking for OH's rellies:

Elizabeth DENISON
      Birth: About 1775 Of, Westminster, London, England
      Spouse: George IV King Of ENGLAND Family
      Marriage: About 1795 Of, Westminster, London, England Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church

How anyone could put this I can't imagine. Pretty easy to check up on George IV, I would have thought. First "wife" (marriage illegal because bride was Catholic AND George had married without consent of the King) was to Maria Fitzherbert and 2nd was the notorious Caroline of Brunswick whom George failed to divorce.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
      X