Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth/Christening " SHARP" Circa 1838Lincolnshire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth/Christening " SHARP" Circa 1838Lincolnshire.

I am a new subscriber and I am seeking help with my " SHARP" Family in Blankney Lincolnshire. Circa 1838. As I live in Australia I cannot easily access records. I have checked the IGI, Ancestry
    .I do hope all this makes sense.

I have been researching for 12 years and thought I had found all my " SHARP "family members, until I came across a Death Certificate here in Australia with the deceased person details listing my G.Grandparents as his parents..As there is an unusual traditional family name I was dumbfounded as I had never heard of this child being born..I have also searched Ancestry UK Census and found this child with the same name as my Great grandfather, but listed for the mothers name is " Sarah".. my Great Grandmothers name was Susannah... I am wondering if the enumerator could have got her Christian name wrong.

My Great Grandparents names are Edward and Susannah Sharp ( nee Plowright).. the had 3 children ( that I know of). 1. Jonathan Plowright Sharp. Edward Albert Sharp ( my Grandfather) and Mary Ann Sharp... then I came across this Death Certificate of a Henry Sharp born circa 1838 listing Edward Sharp as his father and Susannah Plowright as his mother...

In the 1841 UK Census both Jonathan and Edward were away at Boarding school on Aubourne, I do not know where Mary Ann their sister was on the night of the 1841 Census... Reading further on the 1841 Census- there is an entry for Edward SHARP ( head) wife Sarah ( not Susannah) and Henry aged 3 years. living at The Fens Blankney Lincs. the same Village where my Great grandparents had a huge farm/property..

Can anyone please advise me where I can validate if Henry did belong to my Edward and Susannah Sharp ( nee Plowright) or.. is there another Sharp family in the same Village..

Thank you for your patience.

Faysie.. Australia

Hi Faysie. Welcome to the forum

When did your family emigrate?
    I'll have a look see if I can find anything.

There is a birth in 1838...
    Jun 1838
    SHARPE Henry
    Sleaford 14 498

He would fit with the one you found on the census.

In 1851, I think Henry is at school in Grantham.
    HO107; Piece: 2103; Folio: 90; Page: 15
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 03-04-08, 11:11.
    Tracy

Comment

Hello, Faysie, and welcome to the forum.

Henry could have been born before the start of civil registration, but there is a possible birth registration for him Apr - Jun 1838 Sleaford district (which included Blankney) vol 14 p 498.

I see from the IGI that Jonathan, Edward and Mary Ann were all born about 10 years before Henry, so I wonder if Susannah died when they were young and Edward then married a Sarah? If so, then whoever registered his death would have had to be confused about who his mother was, though. There don't seem to be any Blankney 1838 baptisms on the IGI, unfortunately, so you might have to order the birth certificate to see who his mother was.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have a Susan who appears as Sarah for one census. I assumed she'd died and husband remarried, to another woman born same place and year, but by the next census she'd reverted back to being Susan again.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you so very much for your response to my quest... Orange Blossum, KiteRunner and Little Nell...this is a nightmare for me- as I only disovered the Death Certificate of Henry Sharp about 3 weeks ago and it's driving me " Nuts".. LOL

My G.Grandmother Susannah SHARP (nee Plowright) died 24 Feb 1877 and my G.Grandfather Edward Died 30 July 1877 both at the home of their only daughter Mary Ann CAMMACK ( nee Sharp) Both were buried at St. Mary's Church Pinchbeck...

I think there must have been a ' Falling out" within the family as my Grandfather Edward Albert SHARP came to Australia in 1853 then his older brother Jonathan Plowright Sharp married and he & his bride Ann came to Australia in 1861...By this time Mary Ann had married a Thomas Armstrong Cammack a Physician of Spalding...I am led to understand that the Cammack family can be traced back to the 1500's they came rom a long line of Physicians...

I have been back through the Census and in 1851 Jonathan Plowright Sharp had his own farm with Servants and Ag Labourers- then 1861 Jonathan is back with his parents Edward and Susannah at their farm on the night of the Census- later in 1861 Jonathan married Ann and then moved to Australia as un-assisted Passengers...

Edward Sharp was classed as " Gentleman Farmer" so he would have had means.. I don't know if there was a Will- perhaps that could tell me something ??? but I do not know how to order a copy if there was one. So I'm stumped.!!!!

Again my appreciation to you all...

Regards
          Faysie - Australia.

Comment

Faysie, if you mean Edward senior died in England and may have left a will, then this link should take you to the site that will tell you how to order a copy:

Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records

The form you want is a PA1S.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you KiteRunner for you information.
              There is another questin I would like to ask. How can I find out the following as Edward Senior apparently was a man of " means" and employed quite a large staff & workers during his time. Are there records of the following.. (1)Did Edward (Senior) own the land or rent it if so from whom (2) would there be a record of Taxes (3) Records of staff wages etc; (4) what type of Farm would it have been...???? I am trying to acertain a little more personal details about Edward & Susannah and their lives together... I know in Australia one can obtain records such as I have asked about but I'm unfamiliar about the United Kingdom.

Thank You for your patience.

Faysie-Australia

Comment

Hi Faysie

The Will would answer your question about whether he owned the farm or not. Does the farm have a name? There may be records on A2A. Try a google search too.

However, it is my experience with farming families that most of the "paperwork" relating to the farm was held by a solicitor and unless you are very lucky, you will never find it.

OC

Comment

Thank you very much Olde Crone will try both..

Faysie

Comment

Welcome, Faysie!

Have you seen this? Or were you the poster?

EDWARD SHARP : SUSANNAH PLOWRIGHT : Genealogy Query

Last week I was at Lincolnshire Archives/Record Office, and it's a shame because I could have looked at the registers for you. I hope you find the answer to your puzzle.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Here is the link for Lincolnshire Archives.

If you have the year of death you could e-mail them to ask if they hold a will for your ancestor. There is a 10 week backlog on sending out wills at present.

Family History - Lincolnshire County Council
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Dear Elizabeth... I was "The Poster".. Thanks for your kind offer. I would have asked for your help whilst at the Lincs Record Office..... I have now ordered a Birth Certificate for Henry Sharp/e born June Quarter 1838 Sleaford as per previous suggestion from Kite... I am hoping and praying that his mothers name wil be Susannah and not Sarah...

Kind Regards
                        Faysie
                        Australia

Comment

Hello Faysie - I'm researching wills later this week and will look to see if there's a probate record for your Edward Sharp d1877.

Comment

Working...
                          X