Edward/Edwin Blackmore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward/Edwin Blackmore

Hello, I am trying to find Edward /Edwin Blackmore born c 1836 he married a lady names Pricella (?) in or around Tedworth or Tidworth. They had 4 (?)children one being Edith Pricella Blackmore who was my g/g/ grandmother Edith Pricella married William Bailey in Chelsea, (I have their GRO Marrage lines ) but I am trying to find out her Edith's mothers maiden name or anything about Edward/Edwin and Pricella Blackmore
    Thanks
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

When did Edith Priscilla Blackmore marry? How old was she then?

Comment

On the 1861 census image, Edwin's surname looks more like BlackMAN than BlackMORE. There is also this marriage on FreeBMD which is in the right area and right timeframe:

Marriages Jun 1855
      BLACKMAN Edwin Andover 2c 333
      COOPER Priscilla Andover 2c 333

Are you sure therefore, that you have the right couple as your gggm's parents? (I assume that you only have her father's name, from the marriage cert?)
      Last edited by Richard in Perth; 03-04-08, 04:28.

Comment

Presumably this is her marriage:

Marriages Dec 1884
        Blackmore Edith Priscilla Chelsea 1a 674

How about this one for her birth (middle name is illegible in the index):

Births Mar 1859
        BLACKMORE Edith Pa* Chelsea 1a 169

If that is the right one, then the birth cert will tell you her mother's name.

Comment

Good Afternoon Richard & Ann,from Tropical North Queensland ---Edith Pricella Blackmore married William Daniel Bailey December 1884 in Chelsea he was 20 and an " Engineer" father Daniel Bailey -Blacksmith --- Edith Pricilla Blackmore age 19 no Profession both living in Chelsea her father was Edward Blackmore Labourer, this info : was lifted from their marriage lines from the GRO
          Sheila

Comment

She was Baptised in North Tidworth Wiltshire July 15 1866 -- To make thing interisting father was EDWIN mother Pricella. I have a photo copy of the " Baptisms folemnized in the parifh of North Tidworth in the countyof Wilts in the year 1866 "
            Sheila

Comment

The only birth on the index in Andover (the district for Nth Tidworth) for an Edith Black?anything between 1855 & 1866, is Jun Qtr 1866, Edith Blackman 2c / 178.
              Last edited by Lyn A; 03-04-08, 05:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                Presumably this is her marriage:

Births Mar 1859
                BLACKMORE Edith Pa* Chelsea 1a 169

If that is the right one, then the birth cert will tell you her mother's name.
                That one is Edith Katie;)

Comment

I suspect that you have the baptism of Edith BlackMAN, daughter of Edwin & Priscilla Blackman who were living in Ludgershall, Wilts in 1861. This would be her birth registration:

Births Jun 1866
                  BLACKMAN Edith Andover 2c 178

... but how do you know that is the same person as your Edith BlackMORE, who married William Bailey in Chelsea, 1884? The father's name does not match (Edward not Edwin), the location is different (London vs Wiltshire) and the surname is even different (Blackmore vs Blackman). Yes all of these things could be explained but unless you have other evidence that your Edith came from this Wiltshire family, I think it's a very tenuous link.

Comment

By 1871, Priscilla Blackman had died. Edwin is a widower, and Edith (aged 4) is with her uncle & aunt John & Francis Ware, in Marlborough.

Deaths Jun 1866
                    Blackman Priscilla 29 Andover 2c 135

Comment

OK, 1891 census has Edith with husband William Bailey, that does say she was born in Wilts Tidworth.

Therefore, I think that for some reason her surname must have changed from Blackman to Blackmore, and that her mother was Priscilla Cooper, who died shortly after her birth (maybe in childbirth?).

Comment

These are the certs you need to get!!

Marriages Jun 1855
                        BLACKMAN Edwin Andover 2c 333
                        COOPER Priscilla Andover 2c 333

Births Jun 1866
                        BLACKMAN Edith Andover 2c 178

Deaths Jun 1866
                        Blackman Priscilla 29 Andover 2c 135

Comment

The record of Edith's christening was sent along with a note from the Wiltshire and Swindon Archives, saying that Edward/Ewin Blackmore/Blackman were the some person.So along with Tidworth and Tedworth. I can get confused William and Pricella are set in Stone, but it is/was her mother and father I was after, to take the line back
                          Sheila
                          Last edited by Sheila from Down Under; 03-04-08, 05:59.

Comment

Well then, there you have it - the above refs will give you her birth cert (and therefore her mother's maiden name), her parent's marriage cert (and therefore their fathers names), and her mother's death.

Cheers,
                            Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard for all the work you have done, now off to the GRO on line.
                              Thanks again
                              Regards
                              Sheila

Comment

My money is on Priscilla Cooper, she is a year younger, and 3 pages away from Edwin in 1841! Very nearly the Girl Next Door!

Comment

Thanks Bev, you could be right knowing my family, still I'll know in about 3 weeks when the GRO arrives
                                  Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Sheila from Down Under View Post
                                    Thanks Bev, you could be right knowing my family, still I'll know in about 3 weeks when the GRO arrives
                                    Sheila
                                    Jeeper, Sheila! Did you order the whole GRO! LOL!!:D

Comment

Good Grief Lyn !!!!! no , just Edwins and Pricella's marrage lines, that will give me Pricella's fathers name but I think that John
                                      Sheila

Comment

Sheila................I just ordered 5 cert last week from GRO and I have 3 already.

Qld has a waiting list of 7 WEEKS at the moment, so I'm getting my UK ones much quicker.

Comment

Working...
                                        X