Death certificate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death certificate problem

A few weeks ago I asked for help on this forum to find the reference for the death certificate of Winifred Nora Cooper.

Harrys Mum supplied me with the number B13 Entry 293 Poole in Dorset.
    The thing is the GRO form will not accept this number.

Winifred died 12/12/2002.

Am I doing something wrong?

Brenda

I think its a problem to do with the different registration numbers and can only suggest you try ordering by phone.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Brenda.............just rechecked.

Definitely the right numbers. but the reg district is down as East Dorset not Poole.

Don't know if that makes a difference. I don't order UK certs.

Good Luck.

Comment

The point about certificates is that GRO use one system of numbering and local offices use their own. GRO can only accept references in the form used on their lists. If you only have a reference for a local office that is the only place you can get it.
        Suggest you apply by post to the East Dorset Registry Office.
        Shirley
        Last edited by Shirley silver surfer; 03-04-08, 08:04.

Comment

The address of East Dorset Registry Office is:

King George V Pavilion,
          Peter Grant Way,
          Church Road ,
          Ferndown,
          Dorset,
          BH22 9EN

Comment

I think you are going to have to ring the GRO as Nell suggested as it is the reference from their list

Winifred Nora Cooper
            DOB 29 Oct 1898
            Death Reg - Dec 2002
            Age - 104
            Reg District - East Dorset
            Inferred County - Dorset
            Reg No - B13
            Entry - 293
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

The reference numbers that you have quoted are the GRO numbers, because they are taken from the GRO deaths index, so I can't see why they wouldn't accept them.

The boxes that you get for entering reference numbers for a 2002 death are:

Year 2002
              District Name and Number East Dorset B13
              Entry Number 293
              DOR (Date of Registration mm/yyyy) 12/2002

The bits in red are what I entered on the online form and it seems to accept them o.k. so I would think that is what you have to enter. I've never ordered such a recent cert so I can't say for sure, but I presume it would flag it up as an error if I had done it wrong!
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Did Brenda put Poole instead of East Dorset???? And would it make a difference???

Comment

It would certainly make a difference, because the system would presumably pick up the fact that the numbers don't match the district.

Comment

Thank you everyone...I did put East Dorset on my order form.

It is practically impossibe to get through on the telephone without being on hold for ages. I am in Spain and the telephone number of the GRO is an 845 number, which for some reason is charged at a premium rate out here.

I will have another go today and copy Kite Runners instructions.

Just wondered if something was different because it is such a recent death.

Not very happy with GRO at the moment, I got an email informing me that a BIRTH certificate I ordered did not exist, so refunding £4. It was a DEATH certificate I ordered, luckily I printed their reference and it clearly states death certificate, but e-mails get an automated response and as I said earlier, cannot get through on the phone.

Am back in the UK next week so if I do not hear before then, I will ring from there.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Brenda

Comment

The GRO do reply to e-mails eventually, but the first response is always an automated one. It generally takes about 4 days to get an answer.

Comment

Just to let you know that I did re-order and it did go through this time. What I was doing wrong was putting the B13 with the entry number.....293, instead of with the district.... East Dorset.

Thanks again everyone

Brenda

Comment

Well now we know. Hope when you get it it helps you.
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Brenda

The phone number for GRO is 01704 569824.

If you use the Say no to 0870 site:
                            SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers
                            you can search for alternative phone numbers.

It won't allow you to copy & paste the number in though, so you need to have it written down then type it in.

I hope that helps for the future.

Joanie

Comment

What a fabulous site!!!

That willl be so useful to me,we get so many free or local rate numbers to ring that are useless to us in Spain.

Do you have the same problem Mary in Italy?

Thank you very much Joan

Brenda

Comment

Originally posted by pyghtle View Post
                                That willl be so useful to me,we get so many free or local rate numbers to ring that are useless to us in Spain.

Do you have the same problem Mary in Italy?
                                Yes, I avoid phoning and use e-mail wherever possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X