Birth Cert's for alive people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Cert's for alive people?

Sure this is the wrong place to post this, but hey ho!

I know someone who lives abroad and needs a copy of his birth cert! Doesn't actually know which district he was registered in, but obviously I can find all that out. He is 65. All the sites he has looked at to get a copy seem to be charging about £25 ( I don't know where) Is there any reason I can't get the cert from GRO, as ususal, for £7.00 for him?
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

They can only say no!
    Go for it, and see what happens.
    In the past, they clearly thought that identity theft etc would only occur in the under 50s.
    I certainly obtained a birth cert for a colleague a few years ago.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I've had no probs getting them for people over 50, for both a rellie & a non-rellie. I got one from a local register office & one from the GRO.

Wonder if they now cross-check with the deaths? I seem to remember there was a scam a few years back, where people were applying for passports in the names of deceased people who had never held a passport of their own.
      Vicky

Comment

Thanks Pheonix,

I'll just give it a go! nothing to loose....
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Sue,

if he's looking at the sites that cost £25 then he's not looking at the GRO is he?

All other sites are Rip offs.. unless you goto the local office.

Nothing stopping you ordering it though and forwarding onto him? or if he is able, to do it himself from the GRO (online) /local office via the Phone ?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I ordered one for someone born in 1978 without any problems - long story!
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I got a copy of my OH cert with no problem

Comment

Should be no problem, I've got several.

Trouble is if you google you get the rip off merchants come up and can be confusing for those not in the know.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've just ordered & received one from GRO for my son's father in law. He was aware I knew how to order them & asked me if I could get him a copy of his own. Geraldine

Comment

Thanks everyone, You've been most reassuring!

I have no idea where he was looking, but I'm sure even witout the reference the GRO is only £10.

I'll get onto it.
                    Sue x

Comment

Sue

I bet he googled GRO!

The first hit that comes up is the rip-off site that charges £25. I think lots of people got caught by that one.

OC

Comment

I got my b-i-l for him & he's not 50 yet!
                        Mavis
                        Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

Just double check if a copy form the GRO is accepted as proof of ID. I needed a replacement copy for myself when I needed to prove something for my pension. I think there is a difference.

Comment

I dont think hed need a ref if you have the full details, but youd be able to get the ref on the complete bmd index anyway - I did it not long ago for a cousin who lived in Germany and needed his birth cert to get home here for his retirement. The £25 site only reorders it from GRO anyway. What a con.

Comment

Working...
                            X