Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archaic Medical Term, please!

Hi olks,

I cannot get onto the 'Archaic Medical Terms' site, as I keep being timed-out for some reason.

Could somebody please help? I have just received a death cert in 1838, and the cause of death is a complete mustery to me. Very difficult to read, the first word being something like 'climactorick decay'. I know that spelling can't possibly be right - any ideas, please? The old lady was 88 years of age.

Chris

Climacteric is the menopause, which sounds a bit unlikely.

Comment

Found it on Archaic Medical Terms English List C - does that link work for you?

Comment

Try Googling - I got loads of hits ....At a quick glance I think it means old age!
        Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Yes, it's not very clear on the Antiquus Morbus site, but I think that's the gist of it. Also called "morbus climacterica".

Comment

There's nothing on the site that suggests what it could be but in my 1960's nurses dictionary there is the following, but it's not relevant to an 88 year old.
            Climateric (kli-mak-ter-ik) The period of the menopause in women.
            C. psychoses Mental disorders occuring at this time.
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Found it on Archaic Medical Terms English List C - does that link work for you?
              Mary - that certainly looks like the scribble I have in front of me! However, all those technical terms have gone straight over the top of my head I'm afraid! I ain't a medical person......

I think I shall just stick with 'end of her life, decay'. Sounds about right, eh?

Chris

Comment

Many thanks to everybody for their input! Incidentally, non of you are 'olks' - it's just my cordless mouse slwoly dying on me I fear!

Chris

Comment

have you had a look here? Chris?

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                  X