St Bernardos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Bernardos?

I have a school attendance record, don't know what school it is for but I believe it is a secondary school of sorts as most of the boys have been recorded as going there from junior school. This is my grandads but sadly he passed away so I have no-one to ask about it.

The entry I am interested in is as follows:
    Number 1192, Charles Chinn, admission date 4.3.1912, name of parent or guardian:gilbert,address:38 towm road,date of birth:27.7.01.date of leaving:13.9.1912,reason for leaving: st bernardos.

I believe Charles parents are Gilbert Chinn (28.3.1859 to 8.6.1912) and Alice Martin (died 1905).

If this is the casd, Charles would have been an orpham when he had to leave school. They lived in Edmonton, London.

Is St Bermados some sort of orpganage or workhouse? Please help clear this up.

Comment

Kayleigh

Are you sure this is St Bermados/St Bernados and not Dr Barnado? Dr. Barnados children's homes/orphanages are well known all over the country. He founded his first ragged schools/orphanages in London and you can google Dr Barnado for more information. Try the following website for a short history of Dr Barnado and his orphanages.

History of Barnardo's and Dr Barnardo, victorian Britain, Britain 1845-1900, state of society in Victorian Britain, Barnardo's orphanages, Barnardo's homes

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 01-04-08, 19:40.

Comment

I have to say that my first thought on seeing "orphan" and "** B*rnardos" was of "Dr Barnardos" homes.

Might be worth googling - or making use of the TDA or the Gale Newspaper trial?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Had another look at the record, it prob is dr bernardos,hard to desipher the writing. Does anyone have any links or info on some sort of records I can get hold of?

Comment

If you contact Dr Barnado's in Essex I think it is Barkingside, they will help you. I think they charge a fee though, and you have to be 'next of kin'.
            Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

Children's charity - Barnardo's supports children and young people throughout the UK is the link to the homepage.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I contacted them about my mother and they wanted £50 just to see if they had her records!!!
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi the address if it is Edmonton is Town Road not Towm, the nearest Dr Banadoes is off Manor Road, Wood ford Bridge/Green, about 5-6 miles East from Edmonton close to Claybury Hospital.

Comment

Oops! Typing error-it is town road, not towm. Maybe I should type a little slower! Thanks for the info James. Looks like I'll not get much further with this one, im not next of kin and £50 just to check the records is madness!

Comment

I applied for mine and they would not let me have all the info as you have to prove there are no children from any marriages they may have had.
                      But they did give me lots of info for free up till 1907 as the privacy law covers periods after that.
                      I also rang to thank them and said it would have been nice to have got photos and for £10 they are sending me them.
                      I do know they charge about £100 for the records.

Comment

Ridiculous amount of money, I dont know anything about Charles, still trying to find his birth registration/cert to see if he is linked to me. Not having any luck so far.

Comment

I imagine Dr Barnardos is still a registered charity, and with that in mind, I am relieved to hear that they DO charge for retrieving records and don't use charitable donations to fund people's family history research.

I understand they only charge a nominal amount if they are your OWN records.

Sorry if that sounds sour but I hope you understand what I mean.

OC

Comment

I do know what you mean OC. Dr Barnardo's is one charity I do support every year, I sell raffle tickets twice yearly. I wouldn't like to think the money wasn't spent on the children.
                            When I was young I went with the dancing class at school to Barnardo's summer fete and did a dancing display. I was about 7/8 and it made a huge impression on me, seeing the beds in dormitories about twenty to a room.It made me realize how lucky I was.
                            Rita

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/.../User:Nappycat

Comment

I believe it is still a registered charity. I understand they only give records to next of kin so I've got no luck there. I suppose the records are expensive so they can use the money to hekp the kids they've got in care now. Not sure what the above 2 comments are about-I'll leave you to it.

Comment

Kayleigh

Just pointing out that £100 doesn't seem a lot to me, when you consider that most County Records offices now charge £25-£30 an hour for ANY sort of research.

Many Children's Homes burnt all their records anyway, so no chance of getting any information at any price.

OC

Comment

Oh well, at a dead end then. It's a shame to think records would have been burnt.

Can't even find a registered birth for Charles either. Mystery man.

Comment

Kayleigh

I'm not so sure that records WERE burnt! Many of these institutions are very twitchy about being sued for past treatment of children in their care.

I hope you manage to find your man.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                    X