Chinns of Hinton St Mary. Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinns of Hinton St Mary. Help please

I can trace my tree back to 1787 but am having trouble finding any info on my great grandmothers. The following is a list I need help with:

Elias John Chinn (1836-1874) married Martha Gilbert (1839-1871).They were married on 10 Feb 1858. I'm looking for martha's parents etc.

Amos Chinn (1809-1892) was married twice. Firstly to Mary Dowling (1809-1865), they were married on 24 May 1836. His second wife was Eliza Arnold Duffet (b1823),they married on 2 April 1866. Looking for their parents etc.

Please help

1861 has Elias and Martha in Hinton St Mary, Martha born Brockenhurst, in Hampshire abt 1840.

1851 census ref HO107; Piece: 1661; Folio: 76; Page: 21
    has Martha Gilbert born Brockhurst, Hants, living in Fareham, Hants with parents Adam and Peter.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The 1861 census has Martha's birthplace as Brockenhurst

1851 has a Martha Gilbert born Brockenhurst (c1840) with parents Maria and Adam Gilbert

- Ancestry.co.uk

correction ... 1851 has it as Brockhurst (1861 Brockenhurst)
      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-04-08, 19:06.
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Marriage from freeBMD

March quarter 1858
        CHINN Elias John
        GILBERT Martha
        Portsea volume 2b page 520

The marriage certificate would give Martha's father's name and occupation which would help to confirm the family in the previous census.
        Elaine

Comment

Similarly 1871 has Eliza Chinn born abt 1821, Stalbridge, Dorset.
          Can't see her in 1861 though or 1851 as Eliza Arnold or Duffet/t or other surname. But if you bought the marriage cert that would give her father's name (perhaps!)
          Last edited by Little Nell; 01-04-08, 15:17.

Comment

This looks like Eliza Arnold in 1861 with children Ellen and Eliza Arnold from the 1871, there is also a Henry King 17 described as son.

RG9; Piece: 1330; Folio: 52; Page: 17
            Fiona. xx

Comment

Well the one Fiona has found is already married, so presumably her maiden name wasn't Arnold.

IGI has a marriage between Robert Arnold and Eliza Hook in June 1848 Blandford Dorset but its a personal submission.

Freebmd has 1848 Apr-May-Jun Blandford Dorset vol. 8 p.51
              Mark Arnold
              Robert Arnold
              Eliza Hook
              Elizabeth Hook
              Emma Hook

Comment

[QUOTE=Rachel Scand;1145826]The 1861 census has Martha's birthplace as Brockenhurst

1851 has a Martha Gilbert born Brockenhurst (c1840) with parents Maria and Adam Gilbert

Thanks for that, I have the marraige cert, didnt know her mothers name.

Comment

Is anyone able to find any info on Mary Dowling?

P.S. Where are you all getting all this info from? I don't know where to look.

Comment

Do you have Ancestry ?
                    I put a link in my previous post which you could click on to take you to the census info ....
                    No good if you don't have Ancestry though ! :D

Shall I type it out ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Dont have ancestory, could you let me knnw what it says please.

Thanks

Comment

Trinity Street, Fareham, Hants .... 1851

Adam Gilbert ... head ... age 42 .... Cordwainer ?(employ 1 man)?
                        born Wilts ... Whiteparish

Maria Gilbert ... wife ... age 36 born in same place

Comley? ... daughter ... 15 ... born ... Hants .. Totton
                        Josiah ... son ... 13 ... scholar ........... Hants .. Portchester
                        Martha .. dau ... 11 .....scholar .................... Brockhurst
                        Augusta ... dau ... 9 .................................... ""
                        Robert ... son ... 7 ... scholar ....................... ""
                        Cornelius ..son .. 5 ..................................... ""
                        Priscilla ... dau ... 3 ..........................Hants .. Hardway ?
                        Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-04-08, 16:26.

Comment

There is also a marriage in Dec 1846, Sturminster, 8, 191. Robert Arnold and there's an Eliza King on the page which would match with the 1861 family I found. Not been able to find that family in 1851 though.
                          Fiona. xx

Comment

checking in my Atlas .. there's a Hardway in Wiltshire .... up a bit from Wincanton ... that's the only one I can see

Comment

Thank you everyone, you've been so helpful. Rachel-thank you for that golden nugget of info!

If anyone has any more info I'd be very greatful.

Comment

Kayleigh, if you have a look in the site GEDCOM there are a couple of matches for your Chinns

Comment

Ahh! I'm too slow - I've just seen your reply on Uncle John's Chinn Alert thread

Comment

Hi again Kayleigh,

Following on from our messages..
                                    If I can help with the Gilbert side of the family, please do let me know. The Gilberts originate from Wilsford in Wiltshire and I have lots of information that I can share. (my gt gt grandmother was Deborah Gilbert)

Martha Gilbert & Elias John Chinn have been very hard to track down. I've now entred all the information I've found on my FTM (off line), so if you want to pm me your e-mail I can send you a report.

There are also two Chinn births & deaths, with the middle name of Gilbert, that I've found. not sure who they belong to, but suspect they are part of the extended family. (the Gilberts did like to pass on their name as a middle name)

Birth:
                                    George Gilbert Chinn
                                    Year 1887 Mar Q
                                    Islington district
                                    volume 1b
                                    Page 223

death:
                                    George Gilbert Chinn
                                    Year 1887 Sep Q
                                    Age at Death: 0
                                    Islington district
                                    Volume: 1b
                                    Page 186

Birth:
                                    William Gilbert Chinn
                                    Year 1888 Sep Q
                                    Islington district
                                    Page: 214

Death:
                                    George Gilbert Chinn
                                    Year 1887 Sep Q
                                    Age at Death: 0
                                    Islington district
                                    Page: 186
                                    Sue

Comment

Can I add my 5pennyworth?

There seems to be some confusion about Brockenhurst and Brockhurst and Hardway.
                                      South of Fareham, in Hampshire, is Gosport. Gosport has districts called Hardway and Brockhurst.
                                      People who live in Fareham or Gosport would find it natural to refer to Hardway or Brockhurst as districts known to all 'locals'.

Brockenhurst is much further away - south of the New Forest.

Comment

Thanks for that Shirley. I did wonder if Martha's birthplace should be Brockhurst without the 'en'.
                                        Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X