the marriage of john gamersway abt 1828

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the marriage of john gamersway abt 1828

hi..would someone help me in the research of the marriage of john gamersway and ann (unknown) abt 1828...their daughters born in middlesex
    jane gamersway 1830
    georgina gamersway b 1836
    johns wife,Ann believed to have been born in Ireland....thanks...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Allan, do you have them on any census?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The name seems virtually non-existent. Most of the web references seem to relate to your family.

Do you have any certificates or census references?
      Was John born in Ireland too? Are the family literate? What was John's occupation?
      I imagine that the name has migrated and been mangled on the way or it was vanishly rare with John its last bearer.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thankyou both...the info is from gru...both children born in St Margaret,Middlesex...so i presumed they were on a census in St Margaret..hence the explanation of ann being born in Ireland..the contact seems to think John Gamersway was born in Scotland,but i can`t find any info on John Gamersway......its such an unusual name,i thought it may be variations of the spelling..ie gammersway/gammerway/gamerway...but no luck...any tips?....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Allan, the information people have in their trees can come from all kinds of sources, not just from censuses. I'll see if I can find them on the censuses, though...
          KiteRunner

Comment

thanks very much kiterunner...its really appreciated...allan;)

Comment

Found them in 1841, but John isn't with them:
              No 7 Buckingham Cottages, St Margaret, Middlesex
              Ann Gamersway 35 I
              Jane do 11 Y
              Georgiana do 5 Y
              KiteRunner

Comment

In 1851 at 3 Warwick Row, St George Hanover Square, Westminster:

Ann Gameriway Head Widow 42 Lodging House Keeper Scotland Dundee
                Georgiana Gameriway Daughter U 15 Assistant Berkshire Windsor
                KiteRunner

Comment

thanks very much kiterunner...sorry,but i have to go to work now...catch up again later...thanks again...allan

Comment

I've not found them in 1861 or 1871 yet, but there is a death listed for an Ann Gammersway in Jun 1875 St George Hanover Square, age 60, and a marriage for Georgina Gamersway Sep 1852 in Westminster to either George Jerdin Eatwell or John Hardley.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

It looks as though Georgiana must have married John Hardley, because in 1871 there is a Georgeiana Hardley, widow, age 34, born Windsor, Berkshire, visiting a family called Bradley in Peterborough. But I can't see her in 1861 either at the moment.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

There is a death listed for a Georgiana Hardley age 47, Sep 1880 in Wandsworth, which could be her although the age is slightly out. And a John Hardley death in Sep 1863 Peterborough which could possibly be her husband. But none of this helps much with the marriage you were looking for! I suppose if we could find a baptism for Jane and / or Georgiana it would confirm their father's name - that would make it easier to look for the parents' marriage.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Anyway, it might be worth you contacting the person who posted this message up:

NSW Families

Looks as though they are researching the same family as you, so maybe you can swap info with them (well, of course, it could be the same person you are already in contact with via GR). It does explain why I couldn't find Georgiana on the 1861 census.

If Georgiana really was born in Windsor then your best bet might be to get a lookup of the Windsor parish register for her baptism and check that it gives her father's name as John, or alternatively order her marriage certificate and see what it says for father's name on there. But perhaps your contact will already have the baptism and / or marriage to save you the bother?

Got to go out now but if I think of anything else I'll put it on here later...
                          KiteRunner

Comment

A James Gamerswayes dies in Westminster in Dec 1846. As the index is printed, I suspect this may be Jane.

OOH, OOH, OOH, May I have a prize, please?

Online Document PROB 11/2086
                            Will of John Gamersway otherwise Gammerstone Saint John the Evangelist, Westminster , Middlesex . Will of John Gamersway otherwise Gammerstone Saint John the Evangelist, Westminster , Middlesex
                            Date: 1849.
                            Source: DocumentsOnline (images of documents from The National Archives)
                            Phoenix - with charred feathers
                            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Calm down dear. It's only a death index.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

kiterunner...thanks very much for all your hard work...its really appreciated....phoenix...brilliant,at least i can try and research john thru this opening....thank you all...i`ll now go back to gru and see if its the same contact as "nsw" families...cheers...allan:D
                                ADDED...YES KITERUNNER..THIS IS THE SAME CONTACT AS GRU...ALLAN
                                Last edited by garstonite; 01-04-08, 23:51.

Comment

Confused (but better now)

It took me a while to realize that GRU=GR.

All I could think of was the Russian secret police - between the NKVD and the KGB (forerunners of today's FSB), I think, unless it was military intelligence. It's been 33 years since I took a course in Russian history, and the details get fuzzy with time.

Any John LeCarré fans out there?

Tim
                                  "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

In view of the alternative name given on the TNA site, I wonder if this could be the marriage?

JOHN GAMSTON
                                    Male

Event(s):

Marriages:
                                    Spouse: ANN DUFF
                                    Marriage: 28 JAN 1828 Saint James, Paddington, London, England

Comment

Could this be Jane?

CAROLINE MARY JANE GAMSON
                                      Female

Event(s):
                                      Birth:
                                      Christening: 03 JUN 1829 Saint Mary, Lambeth, London, England

Parents:
                                      Father: JOHN GAMSON
                                      Mother: ANN

Comment

thanks mary...nice to hear from you again...its a very distinct possibility for them both...food for thought...more delving needed here i think...thanks again..allan
                                        ADDED..Tim..6 years ago when i first started research,everyone called it GRU...it was then shortened to GR...its me just set in my ways mate...sorry for the confusion...allan
                                        Last edited by garstonite; 02-04-08, 07:21.

Comment

Working...
                                        X