Passenger lists US to UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger lists US to UK

Would anyone know if there are passenger lists from the US to UK in the early 1900s please.

I have both born in Derby

Andrew Fletcher born 1872
    Matilda Millicent Tatum born 1871

They marry in June 1893 and move to the US later that year to look for work.

Dorothy Lillian Fletcher is born 1894 in Philadelphia Pennsylvania

All 3 are on the 1900 US census, which i have thanks to Daphne.

Sometime after 1900 they return to Derby, where they remain.

There are 3 more children for this couple whos births i am having trouble finding.

Matilda
    Patricia
    Francis

Francis is the youngest who i MAY have found a birth for in Derby 1908.

The US to UK passenger list would at least tell me if either of the girls were born in the US.

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

good morning sylvia....you`ll have to google,but i know there is a site with the passenger lists from USA to LIVERPOOL...i live in liverpool,and i`m sure its something to do with liverpool gov.uk....Liverpool was the major port for transport to and from usa/canada and england...thats presuming they sailed into liverpool....good luck...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you Allen, i will give it a try, they sailed from Liverpool maybe they came back that way.

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

Liverpool Passenger lists arrivals

Just had a quick look and is this the one Allan?

Comment

Thank you Linda, they all seem to too early though. Will have a proper look tomorrow when i`m not so tired.

Sylvia
          Sylvia

Comment

The National Archives guide to resources - no name searches online though, its done by the name of the ship.

The National Archives | Getting started | Family History | Migration / Ships' passenger lists
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Sylvia

I don't know of any US departure records that will help you. In 2009 the 1911 census should be digitally released so you will at least be able to examine places of birth on that...and hope they got it right! Just for the record....Andrew and Matilda did not arrive together as the 1900 US census indicates. His record states his destination as a friend in Philadelphia and her record states destination of her husband Andrew in Philadelphia. Brave woman to travel alone being 5months+ pregnant!

Andrew Fletcher
              Arrival Date: 6 Nov 1893
              Born abt 1870
              Male
              Departure port: Liverpool, England
              Last residence: Derbyshire
              Ship name: Ohio

Matilda M Fletcher
              Arrival Date: 18 Apr 1894
              Born abt 1871
              Female
              Departure port: Liverpool, England
              Last residence: Derby
              Ship name: British Princess

Best wishes
              Jean

Comment

thanks for that link Linda. I am almost finished trawling for my Fosters coming home. It is sending me cross-eyed lol. It is just their 'era' but I haven't found them yet.

Would most ships from NY come to Liverpool?
                Rose

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Jean... I had found those arrivals yesterday by using our Wiki which took me to Ancestry US which i couldn`t access of course, but when i logged into the UK site, down the bottom was what i had tried to access on the US site and whoohoo i managed to get the image too.

Now my contacts both have Dorothy listed as born in Feb 1894, which she couldn`t have been if Matilda didn`t arrive til April.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Comment

good morning girls....rose,Liverpool was one of the biggest and busiest ports in the world in the 19th century,and the majority of ships used Liverpool to and from America...Southampton and Portsmouth were also busy with american travel...for the record...money people used to request the port side of ship going to america and the starboard side of the ship to travel to britain...Port Out Starboard Home...hence the word POSH.....which is also the nickname for Portsmouth fc........TJ Harrison-Blue Funnel-P&O-Cunard were major shipping lines to USA from America...maybe they would have passenger lists.......regards...allan
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks Allan

I knew that about POSH :D
                      Rose

Comment

I have a feeling that QI did myth-busting thing on POSH. I remember feeling rather disappointed, because it's such a good explanation.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Well I never! POSH - Port out, starboard home

According to this website the word acronym didn't even exist until the 1940!

I like QI, wish it was on earlier though.
                          Rose

Comment

Working...
                          X