Cost of replacing WW2 medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of replacing WW2 medals

Does anyone know how much I might be charged to get my fathers medals replaced (they were just the general ones, no outstanding bravery). In fact can I get them replaced? They weren't lost or stolen, my step-mother either threw them out or sold them:(

Hi Trish
    It doesn't look as if you can get replacements .... but you could always buy from ebay or a dealer

Medals - Replacing campaign medals

ww2 medals, medals, war medals, Militaria items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 31-03-08, 18:18.
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, will have a look

Comment

No, unfortunately you can't get them replaced. I asked my OH to contact the Medal Office to ask for me as I'd have liked some from OH's uncles service.
        I'm making sure OH's are kept safe and hope one of our family will want to treasure them when we've gone.
        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

W.w.2. Medals

Hello Trish

I had a similar problem with my father's W.W.2. medals. You cannot get replacements, but you can get "un-issued" medals from a reputable dealer including the correct ribbons. I bought three relating to my father's service and the total including secure postage was £44.00. The only difference is that there is no name/service number along the rim. Alternatively you can buy a "secondhand" medal that has someone's name along rim. There is also a company who make replica medals.

If you pm me I can let you have the name and contact details of the man I dealt with - I do not have any contact/relationship with the company concerned.

Jean

With apologies - the name and service number were on the W.W.1. medals and not on the W.W.2 medals.
          Last edited by Peanuts; 01-04-08, 00:10. Reason: additional information

Comment

That's strange, because my fathers two medals don't have any names engraved on them. They are still in the original box they were posted in.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

They do turn up in junk shops too - I am always horrified to see them there. When you think about what the recipients went through to be awarded them, to have someone just toss them aside beggars belief.

Jay (who once came across a WW2 medal in the pocket of a jacket sent to a school jumble sale!)
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

many thanks everyone and also for the offers of help, looks like the best bet is e-bay. I think in the past I've also noticed coins and medals being sold at boot sales which is rather sad

Comment

Working...
                X