No announcement yet.

4 day's excellent progress at Lincoln!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 day's excellent progress at Lincoln!

Some of you will know that I have been in Lincolnshire for 4 days in search of OH's Newtons (a totally separate branch from his Stalybridge/London Newtons).

Prior to our visit, we had John Newton born c. 1817 Braceby, and a brother Charles Austin Newton born Ropsely 1827, plus sister Anne, born 1812 Braceby. Just recently I found John's parents' deaths in 1839 (John senior) and 1855 (Isabella in London, buried Ropsley).

Thursday - 1st stop Ropsley. Took some photos of the church and graveyard (both John sen. and Isabella buried here). On to Braceby - a tiny village. Went to the church and took some photos and walked through the graveyard - not many gravestones standing BUT as clear as day there was the graveston for Thomas and Anne Newton. Thomas died 1804 and Anne in 1793. I had already earmarked them as probable parents of John senior. Also buried with them Edward Newton aged 9 (died 1789). There are some lovely verses on the gravestone too.

OH was very excited with the grave - he doesn't usually share my excitement, but was thrilled to find tangible evidence of his family. Thomas is his 4xgt grandfather.

Friday - all day in Lincoln Archives. A really fruitful day. It confirmed all my theories. However, some of the records for Braceby were missing (baptisms 1814-1830) so we looked at the Bishops' Transcripts - there was a whole half page devoted to the baptisms of Thomas and Anne's children! We also found out that Thomas, then son William (died 1812) and then John senior were all churchwardens. I also located Thomas' will, which is now on order!

We found the marriage of Thomas and Anne (Dawson) in Threekingham in 1771 and Anne's baptism in 1739! And thus her parents William and Lettission (sic).

However - still no baptism entry for John and no clue to any other siblings apart from Anne and Charles Austin.

However yesterday we decided to go home via Braceby and Ropsley again.
    Braceby has its own website (which I had previously accessed, but it has been updated).
    BRACEBY VILLAGE - LINCOLNSHIRE

OH was taking some footage on his camcorder, and a lady was walking down the road with 2 other people. I asked them if she had lived there long, and she explained she was a church warden. When I told her of our interest, she told me to call at the cottage on the right-hand side as the lady there had the church records. We called, and the lady invited us in and got out all the records.

She had the marriage of John Newton and Isabella Clay (1812 on the IGI) one month before the birth of Anne in Aug. 1812)
    She had the baptisms for John Newton junior in 1817, and extra siblings:
    all in all
    Anne 1812
    William 1814
    John 1817
    Joseph 1819
    Edward 1821
    Sarah Jane 1824
    Charles Austin 1827 (Ropsley)

She has a mine of information, and I shall be sending her my tree of the Newton family. She also has other people who have said they are descended from the Newtons and can put us in touch!! Also she gave me photocopies of the burials and Register of Baptisms for Thomas and Anne.

When we left we went back to Ropsley, because at Lincoln Archives we discovered that Joseph Newton born 1819 was buried in Ropsley in August 1836, and the booklet of Monumental Inscriptions showed where his grave was. It is a slate gravestone, which has withstood the elements pretty well, and we found it easily. I expect that his parents were buried beside him but their grave/graves have long since disappeared.

We still can't get over the experience of entering someone's house to find the information we have been wanting for so long! Lincoln Archives haven't picked up these records - apparently the Register is still in use (a very small hamlet now).
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 31-03-08, 12:25.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

What a wonderful set of experiences - and such a delight to see the original records.

Oxford parish registers have mostly not been filmed, so you get to see the originals of those if you go to Oxford Records Office; and, when my father was Rector of Fincham (30+ years ago), the original records were still held in the parish, so I had the privilege of handling those, too. Even then, I understood that I was fortunate to be able to have such an experience.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

wow Elizabeth, that is fantastic, what a find.
      Lynn

Comment

4 days' excellent progress! (spelling correction!!)

I'm still reeling from the experience! It's so much more exciting than discovering information on the web, and that is exciting enough!

You can tell how distracted I am because of the misplaced apostrophe in the title. :o
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well done, Elizabeth - what a worthwhile few days.

So nice to hear of a success story. The internet is wonderful, but "hands on" is also very satisfying, isn't it?

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Wow, what great finds. Glad your OH was pleased to find the grave.
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I wish I could find some of the family in 1851!

No sign of Charles, William, Edward or mum Isabella.

Seems very odd. I've been through the census for Ropsley and Braceby completely, and none of them are there. All the above men became licensed victuallers in London. I have Charles up until his death (married 1855 St George Hanover Square). The other two turn up for later censuses.

Our John is up in Derby with wife Ann (Tuffnall) and daughter Emily, just before they move south.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

What a wonderful 4 days Elizabeth; I'm not surprised you are so excited. It's just amazing you bumped into just the right person. So pleased for you and pleased for us too....thanks again for all your photos for the Lincs.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Sounds lovely, thank you for sharing.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                  X