Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baptism Records - Poss Stupid Question !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism Records - Poss Stupid Question !

Hi All

If a birth wasnt registered 1854 would said child have been baptised - were they that keen on baptisms and would I find such in parish records or where ?? Told you it was a stupid question after 4 years you would think I'd know the answer myself

Ann

Ann In North Yorkshire

My ggrandmother was not registered (abt 1865) but I was able to find her baptism - in the parish register. If you know the area that should not be too difficult. Most children were baptised at that time, but not all.

Comment

Hi Shirley - Thanks for your reply - its County Durham dont think there is much on line for Durham

Ann In North Yorkshire

Comment

Ann, it's impossible to say as a general point - many families still had their children baptised in those days but a lot didn't. Then of course there were a lot of nonconformists, and also some families got a lot of children baptised all at the same time.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kate - I'm still looking for my William Blaylock who you helped me with before - just that have had a contact on maternal side from Barbados of all places and he suggests I look at the Baptism records but didnt know where I would find anything online

Ann In North Yorkshire

Comment

You may have to go to the local Record office for Durham - or persuade someone else to go for you!

Comment

Funny, Ann, I had a feeling it was going to be about him...!
              KiteRunner

Comment

Shirley - I contacted them and they said if I cant find him neither can they apparently they only look at what we can see online

Kate - dont think I'll ever give up - BTW I cant remeber if i told you i sent for the copy of the will but it only gave same info we found on line

Ann In North Yorkshire

Comment

No, I don't think you did tell me. That's a shame.

I think what the record office probably meant is that they can't search through every parish that they hold records for to look for his baptism, but if you actually went to the record office yourself then you could spend as long as you liked looking through different parishes (and of course, he could have been baptised at any age, so you could search through years and years of records looking for him!) So the record office staff can only really search any index that they have available or check a specific parish for a particular date - unless it is one of those record offices which offers a research service where you pay a researcher per hour.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Oh right then Kate I just got the impression that they couldnt help me - can u just sit and look through stuff all day then ?

Ann In North Yorkshire

Comment

Well, you certainly can at my local record office, Ann, and I think the same is true of many but at some of them I think you have to book a microfiche or microfilm reader in advance, so best to check before you go!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kate speak again when and If I ever find him

Ann

Ann In North Yorkshire

Comment

It just occurred to me after I had logged off and gone to bed, Ann - it was the Record Office you contacted and not the Register Office, wasn't it?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

This is webpage for Durham Records Office
                            Durham Record Office HomePage

Links from here to their holdings, family history, opening hours. It does say it is essential to book a visit and its holdings include

Church of England parishes in the Dioceses of Durham and Ripon
                            Non-conformist churches (for example, Methodist and Roman Catholic churches)

Did your Blaylock chappie have any brothers/sisters who might have been registered, baptised?
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              It just occurred to me after I had logged off and gone to bed, Ann - it was the Record Office you contacted and not the Register Office, wasn't it?

I too think that Ann is confusing the register office with the record office.

Ann

The register office is the place that holds the birth, marriage and death certs.

The record office or archives is where all old documents are held for that county. Parish registers being only a tiny portion of it.

Comment

Another possibility is that the relevant family history society may have transcribed indexes

Northumberland and Durham Family History Society
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

have you tried durhamrecordsonline.com ?

not complete but you never know when you might strike lucky.
                                  I've found 2 baptisms in Durham for babies that ARE registered, but in Tynemouth, Northumberland. The family moved about a lot, and the first child was nearly 3 when he was baptised.

also, if you have an idea of the area, you could try trawling the BTs available on familysearch - the new LDS site.
                                  Vicky

Comment

I was just going to suggest durham records onoline - heaps of info on there - not the cheapest site I am told but very informative and they add to it all the time
                                    Names I am researching
                                    GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Comment

Hello, Humbug, and it's nice of you to help, but Ann may well have sorted this out by now as this is a pretty old thread - previous post was at the end of March.
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Anything useful here? (found by googling for: durham parish registers)

Durham Records Online: Search Census and Church Records

or here:
                                        Over 600 genealogy links for Alabama including censuses, cemeteries, marriage reocrds,

or in these booklets:

and is there anything in that newer LDS site?

Christine
                                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-11-08, 12:11.
                                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                        X