*faints with excitement*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *faints with excitement*

I have spent pretty much all of my spare time over the last 3 weeks going through articles in the Gale trial.

I'm getting lots of hits about my Hodson family, mainly performances and reviews, but nothing meaty.

Despite years of researching them I have never found a name for the wife of George Alfred Hodson. I've found references to her being someones neice - but that's it.

There's a woman with the family on the 1841 census but she was so much older than George I wasn;t sure if she would be his wife or possibly his mother.

Having exhausted every possible way of searching for the name Hodson I decided to find out a bit more about the theatres George ran.

An there it is......

Sudden Death of Mrs Hodson of the Bower Saloon

Sunday, January 5, 1845

On Monday Mr Carter held an inquest at the Bower Saloon Lambeth on the body of Mrs Catherine Mary Hodson, landlady of the above house who's death was awfully sudden.

From what I can make out she died on Christmas day.

That just made my heart leap up to my throat and way down to my feet.

Unfortunately the report goes over the side of the page so I miss out a few words including cause of death which is " Natural d???? caused by rupture of the brain"

But at least I now have her first name
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

and using the same technique has just found me a story about her 16 year old daughter eloping from Gravesend with a man and apparently heading for Southampton.

They married a little later so I now need to work out if they married before returning or not. It doesn't say they ran away to get married but can I assume that's what they mean by elopement - or is eloping a more general running away term?
    Zoe in London

Comment

Oh well done Zoe, I can just imagine how exciting that must have been -

Comment

Wow, that is exciting, Zoe. Well done.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I too have been plodding through BMDs in the papers on Gale for one of my families. One particular couple reported every birth and death to the paper so I've found 3 extra children and 3 infant deaths.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

why is it I never find things like that ?????

Comment

Mmm Val I don't normally find anything either...but...I have found lots on there....even proved that my g grandfather did really exist. I've had a really good two days.
              Kathleen

Comment

I only managed a days access and then it says free trial expired! Just my luck lol.

]

Comment

Zoe

Good for you! It's lovely when you get a breakthrough like that. I expect the natural d- is natural death.

As for elope, it started out meaning a sudden flight by a married woman with her lover, but came to mean running away from one's home secretly with a beloved, often with a view of marrying.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I reread the "elopement" article and it actually calls it an abduction.

I then started looking to see if the "abducted" had been found and it threw up some very interesting pieces about prosecution for abductions. It seems that any man eloping with a young girl and persuading her to marry him could be charged with abducting her as she's the property of her father and he will have "ruined" her against his fathers wishes.

No sign of what happened to Georgiana and Mr J W Sharp after they disappeared form Gravesend though. Her father can't have been too upset as he employed him to work in one of his shows the next year.
                    Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
                      I only managed a days access and then it says free trial expired! Just my luck lol.

Denise,

Its done that to me a couple of times, but it has then allowed me back in, so l should try again
                      Pam

Comment

Thanks Pam, I have and your right I got in again lol.. AND!! just found an article on my gg grandma saying she bigamously married Samson Dutton in 1876 in Liverpool while still married to my gg grandfather Walter Dodd, what a madam she was lol..
                        I have found the marriage in Ancestry and its deffo her lol..

Thanks again Pam..

Just found the verdict and she was discharged as she thought her husband was dead as he didnt return from sea.
                        Last edited by Northern Light; 31-03-08, 11:52.

]

Comment

Working...
                        X