Vaccination Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccination Records

I read something a little while ago about using these to trace family history people using and now can't find the article!!:o

I just wondered if anyone had used them, and what they might contain.

I seem to recall that I read that there was a 100 year closure rule - does anyone know, please?

Thanks
    Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 30-03-08, 18:21.
    Joan died in July 2020.

Whenabouts? I would be surprised if older records would have survived and modern ones are probably not available to the public.

How long are health records kept for? - Health Questions - NHS Direct is about more modern records and it says

Immunisation and vaccination records - for children and young people, retain until the patient's 25th birthday, or 26th if the young person was 17 at conclusion of treatment. For adults, retain until 10 years after conclusion of treatment.
    Maternity records - 25 years after last birth.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I guess you are right, Nell - I was thinking of the 1920's!. The article I read was in a recent Family History Magazine. I'll have another look for it
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Yes, I've read about them in a recent magazine too, Joan, but I'm not sure which one. I have a feeling it was in "Family Tree Magazine" - do you get that one? I think it said that from the early days of civil registration, when the parent(s) went to register their baby's birth, the baby's name would be put on the list for vaccination and it was more or less compulsory. There was an illustration of some of the records if I remember rightly and some correspondence about a specific case where the parents refused to have their baby vaccinated?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

You are quite right, Kite, thanks, and now I have found it! - it's in the March edition.

It seems that vaccination (smallpox) was made compulsory in 1853. Vaccination Committees were formed, and their areas coincided with registration districts. Vaccination records were kept which showed the child's age, name address, the date of the vaccination, and the father's name - (but not the mother's!).

The article says that most of the records which survive (rates vary) date from 1871 to the the early 20th Century and are to to be to be found with Poor Law Union records, at records offices. There is a 100-year closure rule.

Thank you for reminding me where the article was.
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have a death cert from 1849 for a 5-year old girl. Cause of death: "smallpox 14 days never vaccinated. (Certified)"

Comment

Hi Nell,

According to the article, there were Vaccination Acts in 1840 and 1841, which provided for free smallpox vaccination of infants. However, this was voluntary, and the take-up rate was low, and so vaccination was made compulsory in 1853.

Cheers
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The parents of this poor girl had a son who died a month later of TB. So sad, though they did have 5 other children who reached adulthood.

Comment

I was looking for something else on the Gale trial, but spotted a case where some Oxfordshire fathers were fined for not having their children vaccinated.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Pardon me, bringing this up again, but -
                    Does anyone know where to find the small pox records for Stepney?

Comment

Working...
                    X