Battersea, London - Street Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battersea, London - Street Directory

Can anyone help please? Is there a site where they list street names relating to Battersea in the 1880/1890's. I have googled "Battersea" and have checked "Wandsworth Council" Site - they offer maps but if you don't know the name of the street it is not really helpful.

Thank you

Jean

Er, if you don't know the name of the street how will you know if you have found it? What are you looking for?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hello Jean,

I don't know whether you have tried our Wiki, but there are lots of links to sites with old London Street maps - http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/..._And_Middlesex

Cheers
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Battersea London - Street Directory

Sorry for the delay in replying I have been to see my grandaughter in a school musical production and I have only just returned.

I will look at the places you have mentioned - thank you

Little Nell - it isn't as bad as it sounds! I have a death certificate and I am trying to work out the address of the informant, who is the married daughter of my g.g.grandfather. She was "at home" on the 1881 Census, married in 1886 and her father died in 1888- hence I cound not find a "married" address for her. I checked the 1891 Census and she is with husband and family in "Robertson Street transferred to Silverthorne Road, East Battersea"; there were pages of the Census of people in Robertson Street being transferred to Silverthorne Road - an enumerator error I suspect.

On the death certificate the only really legible part of her address is "20 Gou..s.... Road" - so I shall look for roads/streets beginning with the "Gou". Unfortunately I am unable to work out how to copy the certificate to put on here - I am a computer novice.

Jean

Comment

I had a similar problem with some German street names, so I know exactly what you mean!

Anyway, have you tried looking at the London directories on the Historical Directories website - I'm sure it will be somewhere on there, though I can't get the site to load at the moment!
          http://www.historicaldirectories.org/
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ok. Does the death cert give a sub-registration district?

Comment

Silverthorne Road and Robertson Street are still there and intersect. The only place I can see nearby beginning with G is Gambetta Street which runs off Robertson St towards Silverthorne Rd.

Comment

Search for Gou as London Street on streeetmap.co.uk hasn't shown anything remotely likely!

Comment

Battersea Streets

Hi Jean there is a Gough st in Battersea, sometimes its easiest to type the street and town into google, or even part street. It often comes up with the correct answer. My father and his family come from Battersea.
                  Twopins

Comment

Try this site Jean

Victorian London A-Z Street Index

I've used it a lot to find streets in London. It lists a Goulden St in Battersea in 1881.

I thought this was in the Wiki but I can't see it - could be a useful addition!
                    Sue

Comment

My husband was born in Battersea - the kids always used to say was he in the Dogs Home - hmm ............

Peanuts, if you went to the 1881 on ancestry or familysearch (to be honest, I find familysearch more accurate), could you not just enter the bits of the address you know and see if that brings anything up.
                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 31-03-08, 13:27.

Comment

Street Directories - Battersea. London

Success!!

I checked the various indices you all mentioned and the final one was findmypast -using a combination of letters and the wild card feature I have found the address. It is GONSALVA ROAD. When I compared the handwritten address with the various road names on findmypast the "Gonsalva" jumps out of the page - so much for my "Go.sa...n Road!

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. Another problem solved.

Jean

Comment

Well that's not a name any of us could have guessed at! Glad you found it. Google it for some sites that may give you a bit more background.

Comment

Working...
                          X