What happened to the Barnaby baby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the Barnaby baby?

Until I tried the Gale trial website I thought I had all the answers. Now I find my great-gran had an illegitimate half-sister 15 years older than her. When I show my mum tomorrow she'll be shocked.

However, I can't find a record of hir birth or of her and her mother on any censuses.... or am I missing something?

Here's the newspaper cutting that set me on the trail:

7th March 1859

GUILDHALL - SATURDAY

GUARDIANS OF PUBLIC MORALS

William Hutt, a constable in the City Police Force, was summoned before Alderman Finnis and Alderman Humphery, to show cause why he should not be adjudged the putative father of an illegitimate female child, of which the complainant was the mother.

Louisa Barnaby, the complainant, said she lived in Maidenhead-Court, Moor-Lane. Her child was born on the 19th of December last in St Saviour’s Union [workhouse in Southwark], and the defendant, William Hutt, was the father.

Cross examined, she said she had not been intimate with a great many policemen. The defendant was the only one. She never had any intimacy with a policeman named Hodgson, but she had seen him round St Paul’s at night, when she was looking for the young man Hutt.

William Hutt, the defendant, was then examined, and said he had known the complainant about two years, but the intimacy which had existed between them ceased for about 11 months, and recommenced on 14th April. She told him she had been intimate with other men, and when he said he would bring up several to prove it, she said there was one he could not produce, as he was dead.

Police constable Johnson, 134, was then called, and said he knew the complainant, and had been intimate with her at various times during the last three years. He had also seen her with other policemen.

Alderman Humphery said it was not very reputable for either the defendant or the witness to get into the witness box to make such statements.

Witness said he had been summoned and was obliged to attend.

Alderman Finnis thought it was the duty of policemen to bring all prostitutes plying their calling before the magistrates; but it would appear they made it their duty to corrupt the morals of young girls. If twenty policemen came up and swore the same thing it would not alter his opinion of the case in the face of the defendant’s admission and the girl’s oath. Even if it were true that she had been intimate with so many, she must know best who was the father of her child.

The order for 2s6d per week was then made.

Now, I've found a Rosetta Barnaby that fits the birth but she appears on subsequent censuses with her parents, so it can't be her.
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

How morally uplifting to find our forebears were no better than they should be!

My Dad had 5 uncles who were policemen, one in the City of London and the others in the Met. He said that he understood that their main duty was breaking up pub fights - but I wonder now!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just sent my son (with Sussex police) a text to see what he's up to..."low level rubbish" is what he replied

Comment

Birth registration was not compulsory in 1859, so maybe not registered.

When you say Rosetta was with her parents - how do you KNOW they are her parents and what relation are they to the naughty lady?

OC

Comment

Could be that the baby wasn't registered, I suppose.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Rereading your posting, Paul, is Louisa your great-grandmother's mother? And do you have her on a later census with your great-grandmother? In which case, what place of birth and age does it give for Louisa on that one?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Rereading your posting, Paul, is Louisa your great-grandmother's mother? And do you have her on a later census with your great-grandmother? In which case, what place of birth and age does it give for Louisa on that one?
              No, it's the policeman William Hutt who was my g-g-grandfather, and until today I thought he was a fine upstanding citizen! I'd love to find out something about this Louisa but maybe she and her daughter emigrated. All I have is what's in the newspaper cutting. I think that Rosetta may be a red herring.
              Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

If you look Rosetta up on FamilySearch, she is listed on the Pedigree File (I think it was) with names of parents etc.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Maybe Louisa Barnaby wasn't her real name?

Comment

There is a Louisa Barnaby aged 23 in Poplar in 1861 with parents but no child of right age. Perhaps the baby died?

RG9; Piece: 309; Folio: 57; Page: 11

Comment

I also note that the report doesn't state the sex of the child. It could have been a boy.

Comment

I see why you picked on Rosetta but don't forget that the child could have been registered in the next quarter.
                        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          I also note that the report doesn't state the sex of the child. It could have been a boy.
                          It says "female child".

I also had a look at the 1851 and 1861 censuses, and the only Louisa Barnaby who seems to fit is the one you found.

Comment

They could have been in one of the missing parts of the 1861. I seem to remember that one of my families from the Southwark / Bermondsey area are nowhere to be found.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Doh! It does say female! My apologies, my eyesight isn't very good late at night!

Its also possible that this child might have been farmed out as a "nursechild" and may even have been registered in or given another name anyway.

I wonder if there were further records about the maintenance payments showing when/where they were paid?

Comment

A late marriage?
                                Louisa Barnaby 1875 Oct-Nov-Dec Poplar 1c Page: 1377
                                possible grooms Robert Roberts or Samuel Sadler

Comment

The only Louisa Barnaby in 1851 again is the one in Poplar, parents William & Mary Ann.
                                  This is probably her baptism:

LOUISA BARNABY Christening: 26 APR 1840 Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London
                                  Parents: WILLIAM BARNABY & MARY ANN
                                  Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.
                                  Source Information: Batch No.: C055763

Comment

I am guessing that if the child was born in the workhouse, there would be records of Louisa's admission and maybe the baby's name and baptism.

New Page 1
                                    is about cholera outbreak in 1855, which St Saviour Workhouse avoided as it was supplied by the Lambeth Water company, but it does give its location with maps in 1859, 1872.

St Saviour Workhouse is on IGI but doesn't cover the relevant years.
                                    Last edited by Little Nell; 30-03-08, 10:45.

Comment

Working...
                                    X