Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got Battle of Trafalgar ancestors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got Battle of Trafalgar ancestors?

I just wondered if there are any good sites that may give any info about them?

Just watching Master & Commander that's what reminded me, lol!

Mine served on the "Belle Isle"

Joanie

Here are some I found for the magazine but wont make you wait until Wednesday!!

Nelson's Navy | The Trafalgar Roll | The Nelson Exhibition |
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wow thanks Caroline !!

I've found him mentioned in the Genuki & NA sites !

Fabulous !

Joanie

Comment

Oh good - so next time we need articles about nautical ancestors we can come to you. :D
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh my goodness, dunno about that, have only just started looking for him, lol !!

:o

Joanie

Comment

This site even has pictures of the Belleisle! Seems she was virtually destroyed during the battle, so he was lucky to survive.

The Battle of Trafalgar

Joanie

Comment

And this one is rather good too !

The Battle of Trafalgar

Joanie

Comment

Ive been told by a Dixon cousin that we had a chap at the Battle - that he is on a roll of honour or something at Greenwich Maritime Museum.

Comment

The Belleisle before :

And after !

These are copyright free pictures.

Joanie

Comment

OH, well I took that info with a pinch of salt BUT Ive just looked at those links and:

DIXON John LM Spartiate

I wonder if this guy is my errant father of my GGFx3 William born 1820 who gives dad as John, a mariner on his 1848 marriage cert? Cousin said that his grandad told him about this and the grandad didnt know about the roll at Greenwich but cousin remembered being told John was at the battle and went to check it out. Hmm, how lovely if it is him. Is there anyway of finding out where these guys are from? If it is Rotherhithe or Bermondsey then its a cinch. The family were watermen and lightermen.

The LM wouldnt stand for Lighterman I spose - I guess not, it must be something for a serving mariner?

In 1805, HMS Spartiate fought at the Battle of Trafalgar under Francis Laforey. With Minotaur, she forced the surrender of the Spanish ship Neptuno, of 80 guns.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-03-08, 23:25.

Comment

Heather if you check out those sites , Genuki etc you can put the name in & see which ship he was on etc.

I can't believe mine survived that! I think he was a 4 x great uncle or something. Wouldn't it be funny if yours served on the same ship?!

Joanie

Comment

Have a look at this one Brian :

Broadside, Battle of Trafalgar, 1805.

Joanie

Comment

OC's Claim To Fame:

A twiglet ancestor, James Holden, had his right arm amputated on the same bed as Nelson and directly after him. Their names appear on the same page of the Surgeon's log, along with their treatment which was identical - haemorrhages stopped with the application of flour!

Amazingly, James Holden survived and was pensioned off at Tenerife.

He never returned to England, where his wife and children were claiming parish relief as the deserted family of this man. He had in fact been pressganged on a visit to Preston.

His wife later gained permission from the Bishop to remarry as she was "deserted these seven years". No one ever knew what became of him - except MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

OC

Comment

Well lightermen and watermen were often press ganged because of their obvious rowing and sailing skills, Im quite excited now wondering if this is my John because I cant find my William born 1820 in the 1841 with a father so Ive been dead walled at his birth. If I could find out some sort of pay book or register with this John Dixons place of birth or press ganging then I could possibly tie him in.

Oh, I just found a list of crew on National Archives Joan!:

John Dixon aged 30 born in London, England.
                            Ship: HMS Temeraire
                            Rank/Rating: Able Seaman

Service details
                            Comments: From: see former books
                            HMS Temeraire
                            Ship's pay book number: (SB 521)
                            1 September 1804

Sources used
                            Catalogue reference: ADM 36/15851
                            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-03-08, 23:30.

Comment

Oooooo OC what ship was he on ?

I can't find him on the Genuki site?

Joanie

Comment

Whoops sorry Heather missed your first post!

LM - Landsman? That's what it says on the NA website.

If he was the one from Norfolk Heather he was actually on the Victory at Trafalgar !!

Joanie

Comment

No not Norfolk Joan, he would be a Londoner, I think I got the wrong John on that other list, it only showed one, but on the N.A. list there is a John, able seaman, London. (I think Im grasping at straws here LOL)

Whats a landsman? Anyone know, just out of interest?

Oh, another one to look into:

Cornelius Dixon aged 55 born in London, England.
                                  Ship: HMS Polyphemus
                                  Rank/Rating: Landsman

HMS Polyphemus
                                  Ship's pay book number: (SB 142)
                                  2 August 1804

Sources used
                                  Catalogue reference: ADM 36/16507
                                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-03-08, 23:35.

Comment

LANDSMAN: an inexperienced sailor

Joanie

Comment

Oh, that wouldnt be mine then!

Oh Joan, I see what you mean. Further grasping at straws here, but the one you say from Norfolk - he was previously working on a Woolwich tender - well that would be a waterman wouldnt it. AND I dont actually know where John came from, only that William, the son was born Rotherhithe, a spit from Woolwich. Oh dear, Im winding myself up now, how brilliant if it turned out my Dixons also came from Norfolk originally as well as my Horsteads, that would be so classic.

I shall definitely have to look into this now Isnt it nice how things suddenly come out of the blue to give you a bit of excitement again. Hmm, when I was looking for Williams dad I was always entering London or Surrey as his birth place, never occurred to me that he may be from outside of London.
                                      Oh oh oh Joan, just looked at his service record and it says John Dixon, alternative name John Dickson. Well, I was annoyed with William Dixons marriage cert because it gave his name as Dixon then his dad as John Dickson - is that a further omen?? LOL
                                      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 29-03-08, 23:44.

Comment

LOL Heather !!

Pleased that I have rekindled your interest!

I gather my chappie came home & ended up in debtors prison eventually :o
                                        Not quite the happy ending he may have deserved I suppose!

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                                        X