Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you File paper information non direct rellies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you File paper information non direct rellies?

I am currently trying to tidy up and file paper records of one of my branches.

I do have quite a lot of info on this line, with siblings and thier families and thier families etc.

I am struggling with how best to file them.

I started with the oldest known direct ancestor at the back of the folder, coming forward in the folder with thier children and irrespective of DOB my direct ancestor at the front of this pile. Then thier children again my direct ancestor at the front, Until I reached my Gt grandmother.

Now my dilemma where to file the children of each generation of non direct people. i.i Gt Grandmas sisters family and so on.

Any suggestions please?

I'm not that organised but I think I'd probably do it by ahnentafel number.

Either the descendants of each number, excluding your direct line, or the siblings of each ahnentafel.

e.g. my great great grandfather William is ahnentafel 16. So i'd have a file numbered 16 with all his descendants, other than my great grandfather Oscar who woudl be kept separate as he is my direct line.

Oscar would generate his own file for ahnentafel number 8 giving his descendants

William's father would have a file for his other children numbered 32 containing Williams siblings and their families
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Oooh that's all far too complicated for me!

So many bits of paper are about more than one person or more than one family, for starters!

I just have drawers full of hanging files, each designated to a surname. I just bung the stuff in the most appropriate one. I have a whole filing cabinet full now, but have never lost anything, so it must work!

Comment

I do the same as Zoe, using ahnentafel numbers.

Example - Joseph Trafford (ahnentafel 38) has his own folder. He is at the front of this folder and his siblings are also in the same folder - numbered 38A,B,C and so on, with dividers obviously.

This folder is now almost full so I will split it into 38 and start another folder for 38A,b,C etc.

This is working well for me, so far. I have an ahnentafel table taped on my computer desk so I can easily see which folder I need.

OC

Comment

I guess the question to ask is "when I want to check the name of gt gt grandmother's 2nd husband's sister-in-law's child, where would I logically expect to find it?" and then file it there!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thankyou all.

I use FTM and have each branch split at the moment and I think I have a problem with the ahnentafel numbers I presume you start with yourself as 1??

So if I am not how do I get the numbers to run correctly please?

Comment

Perranmaid

You can download a free ahnentafel chart from the Lost Cousins website. This will make it easy for you to see how the numbers work.

Basically though - YOU are always number 1.

Your father is always 2 (all males are even numbers)
              Your mother is 3 (all females are odd numbers)

The numbers double at each generation backwards.

So, your mother is 3, her father is 6 and her mother is 7.

Download the chart though and fill it in - you will immediately realise how it works!

OC

Comment

I have loose leaf folders under surnames in my tree, everything in date order, so, for example all the pages concerning my g.grandfather's children in the 1871 census are together, the FreeBMD page for an event goes in there too, and so does the cert (otherwise I'm liable to order it twice (LOL). The advantage I find is that if some one is staying with an aunt or uncle they are physically close together as I flick through pages.
                Mavis
                Dust is a noun, never a verb;)

Comment

This is always a tricky one. How to file? I have changed tack so many times over the last 10 years that I am in danger of forgetting how I filed anything!!

I have certainly found that having a Family History Programme on your computer with preferably Notes/Census/photos and major docs like BMD attached to each person is a very good idea, but this does take time to organise and please remember to back up at least once!

I have also taken my bits of paper and filed them on to the computer so maybe "ancestors" or intersting info might get filed altogether in names so I have Noble/O'Neill/Wyllie etc pages. I then subdivide into countries ie Ireland, America, Scotland, England and then counties Cork and Tipperary Northants and London and then subdivide again into villages of Northants or places in London which is where most of my folk are from. By taking these bits of paper by the scruff I have got rid of much duplication and have clarified a few points that have become very much more obvious once seen in writing on one page. I also have files broken down into people and then villages and am now considering putting all my BMD in one file rather than with the people concerned.

Whatever method you choose now I guarantee that you will have changed tack within a couple of years!

Good luck

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 09:26.

Comment

For census info I've a large census arch files split it into census years and file alphabetically in seach section.

For BDM's I've arch level files for male line couples and female line couples and put relevant bdm's behind their parents with direct ancestors having their own file.

I also have a consolidation file with all the family group sheets (with form printed on reverse of everything I know about couple, addresses they've lived, census info, place and witnesses at marrage etc) filed in generation order as per fan chart at the front- extra ones behind sibling of same generation.

Everything else in a box file of loose bits and peices for each main surname.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thankyou all for your suggestions.

i will try a few of them and you are probably right Janet I will change again no doubt as I find more branches.

OC thankyou for that suggestion will go and find that tonight.

Comment

That form makes things much easier to see at a glance who has what number

thankyou OC.

Comment

just before I went to visit my mums cousin in Scotland in 2006 I thought it would be a good idea to print out all my McKerrow branches so started wth the earliest one and added all his descendants. What a surprise I had as it was 99 pages worth of printing. Since my visit to Scotland I have added many more McKerrow so have no idea how many pages it will take now to print it all out.

Comment

Know what you mean Gloryer, I seem to have reams of paper but doing this sort so far seems to be working and now at least I can see the gaps that need filling.

Comment

Working...
                            X