Professors of music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professors of music

In my tree there are 3 generations of Professors of Music (one of whom married a professor of singing).
    • James b.1760ish
    • William b.1819 (James' son)
    • Haydn b.1808
    • John b.1851 (William's son)

Haydn was another son of James

Did they actually study seriously or was this a title they "awarded" themselves.
    Any ideas?

Jane

I have two of those, a mother and daughter - mother was a pianist, the daughter was a harpist - I think they were just professional musicians. In fact the mother is just described as a professional in one census which always makes me giggle.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

OK
      Am spending a lot of time at the mo on the Gale site where John in particular is a musical conductor and in a different place almost every month.

Any ideas what Opera Bouffe is?

Jane

Comment

Opera Buffo is the Italian term for comic opera, so I'd guess that's the French term.

Christine

PS - Just done some googling and found that Opera Seria really does seem to mean serious opera, rather than some kind of description of a sequential plot.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine and Caroline for your help,

Back to Gale site now to follow up more hits

JANE

Comment

Dictionary of Victorian London - Victorian History - 19th Century London - Social History

If you go to to the Education section of this site you can read about the Royal Academy of Music, The Royal College of Music and the National School of Music. They were all founded a while after yours needed training and Trinity College was founded in 1878. But might be useful.
            Caroline
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Opera Buffo is the Italian term for comic opera, so I'd guess that's the French term.
              That's what I thought, not being an opera buff (excuse pun), but Wikipedia says:

Opéra bouffe
              Not to be confused with Opera buffa.

Opéra bouffe (plural, opéras bouffes) is a genre of late 19th century French operetta, closely associated with Jacques Offenbach, who produced many of them at the Théâtre des Bouffes-Parisiens that gave its name to the form.

Opéra bouffes are known for elements of comedy, satire, parody and farce. The most famous examples are La belle Hélène, Barbe-bleue (Bluebeard), La vie parisienne, La Périchole and La Grande-Duchesse de Gérolstein.

Opéra bouffe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 30-03-08, 15:27.

Comment

Cool, thanks very much - am slightly cross that Gale Trial is over but at least I've now got something else to look at.

The Victorian London site is a great place to get lost - but maybe I should go and feed family first!!

Thanks again
                JANE

Comment

Oh dear, is it over? I haven't tried yet today. Off to have a look.

Comment

No, it's still working fine.

When you go to this page:

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

It does say "trial has expired" at the top left, but you just have to click on "log in now" and use the password they e-mailed you.

Comment

I have a whole load in my tree who refer to themselves as Professors of Music. As far as I can tell, and this is one of the branches I've done really extensive research on, there wasn't a qualification needed at all.

Anyone who taught singing or music gave themselves the title of Professor.

It's also quite common for touring musicians to offer lessons to supplement their incomes.

Theatrical seasons were short and tours would go across the country and rarely stay in any one place more than about a week. If they got signed up for a tour or a season* then they were alright for that length of time, but once the tour/season was over then they had to support themselves until their next engagement came along.

*season was a long term contract in one theatre. Long term being a month or two.
                      I'm trying to work out if there were key dates for a season to run before the theatre hosted touring productions.

It's worth looking on the gale trial and searching for the name your after just in a publication called The Era. If you look at the Classified Adverts you often find them advertising that they are due to end a contract. Here's one of mine...

If you need any help in your research please feel free to bug me and see if I can suggest anything.

I'm currently lying in a hotel in Bristol on a research trip where I hope to be given access to the Theatrical Collection at Bristol University. if you want to give me details of the person you're researching, if I get in to the Uni, I can see if they have anything on him.
                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Out of interest Zoe, have any of yours turned up at Queen's Hall, Reading in the 1890s???
                        Caroline

Comment

is that doing readings at Queen's Hall or at Queen's Hall in reading LOL??

Probably. At last count I'd clipped 400+ articles/adverts/reviews on them and I haven't even started transcribing them yet or mapping them out.

I've only done my main name so far and am nowhere near finished. I've about 4 other family groups to go yet. It is adding a lot of colour for me though.

And I've managed to narrow down the dates they moved from Dublin to London to between 25 April 1831 and 4th September 1831. Before all I knew was they arrived after 1818 and before 1841.
                          Zoe in London

Comment

did you have someone that owned/managed it Caroline?

FOund this whilst doing a search to see if I could spot mine there....

The Era (London, England), Saturday, September 11, 1897; Issue 3077.

Zoe in London

Comment

I can't see anyone on a quick search for Hodson and Queen's Hall.

It was ringing bells as there's a Queens Hall in Liverpool and one in London too.

I'm wondering if it had another name earlier as there's not a huge amount of hits for Queens Hall and Reading, not even in The Era reports of the Provincial Theatricals.
                              Zoe in London

Comment

Robert Tompkins (my auctioneer) is the brother of my maternal great x2 grandfather and he built Queen's Hall in Reading - I found the first advert for it January 1895 and he died in February 1897 - Sir Augustus Harris leased it from April 1895 but he died the following year. So there wouldn't be many hits anyway and I have yet to trawl through all the reports to see who appeared there..

I found out all that from The Era but hadn't come across that bit, thanks, as I haven't been back into Gale's for the last couple of days - I can add it to the collection.

He is nothing to do with the musicians I referred to earlier as they are the equivalent on my father's side!!
                                Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                X