any idea of date please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any idea of date please?

Found this photo amongst MIL's things when clearing her flat. No idea who they are, but I'm hoping we can work it out if we have a date to work to.

Don't know if it helps, but its printed on a "postcard"

Location I would say I'm 99% certain its Leigh, Lancashire, and I think the chap - whoever he is - is a coal miner. I can make out clogs which were pretty standard for working folk right up to the 1950's or later.

Do you think the children are a boy & a girl - and approx ages please, as I'm rubbish at that!

Vicky

Vicky
    Are there any clues on the back at all?
    My grt nan had photos of herself on postcards that she sent to her husband. They dated 1917.

Comment

Vicky
      Looking at the children I would say the older child is a girl aged 4 and little one could be a boy or girl 18mnths maybe 2.
      As for dating not sure the lady looks like she has an apron on so not much of her dress to see.

Comment

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing written on the photo itself.

Looking at how the children fit into the tree, we think its either around 1902/3 or 1934/5, if it is a girl & then a boy. I'm tending towards the 1930's but would like further opinions.

Of course we could be on the wrong track completely & its a cousin/brother rather than direct line, in which case it could be any date!
        Vicky

Comment

Vicky
          Having blown your photo up it looks like the little one is wearing shorts and little clog shoes,so could be a little boy. Have googled children clogs and found a photo of some small kids wearing similar clog shoes taken 1905,but as you said they wore clogs upto 1950 lancashire.

Comment

Ide say the younger child also is about 18mth to 2yrs as his mum has a nappy pin in her apron.
            Kids and pitmen wore clogs in Wigan till the early sixties lol..can still remember them clattering on the cobbles.

]

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Light View Post
              Ide say the younger child also is about 18mth to 2yrs as his mum has a nappy pin in her apron.
              Kids and pitmen wore clogs in Wigan till the early sixties lol..can still remember them clattering on the cobbles.
              :D OH said he wore clogs as a child - he was born 1951.

as for the nappy pin, he asked if they would have had them in 1902/3
              Vicky

Comment

Looking at mum I would date the photo late 1920s or 1930s, both of them hard times for poor folk.

Comment

I would say 30s, rather than earlier. The lady's dress is the typical length for the 1930s.

Slightly alarmed that she is not wearing a cross-over pinny though - it looks more like a tabard apron, which would make it more like the 1950s. (Or perhaps she is pregnant - I believe they wore a sort of tunic thing over their ordinary clothes and left the buttons etc undone on the dress)

OC

Comment

The hemline suggests early late 1920s early 1930s, the lady hasn't had her hair bobbed (a hairstyle that has to be re-cut often therefore expensive)

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

Slightly alarmed that she is not wearing a cross-over pinny though - it looks more like a tabard apron, which would make it more like the 1950s. (Or perhaps she is pregnant - I believe they wore a sort of tunic thing over their ordinary clothes and left the buttons etc undone on the dress)

OC
                      pretty sure this wasn't the 1950's, OH would have recognised the adults.

We *think* we have identified them from circulating the family & seeing if anyone recognises them (no; but several people all say the young girl looks very much like auntie xxx, so at least we know which side of the family we are looking at
                      the young girl was born early 1930 & the boy late 1933 which puts the photo around autumn 1935.

If the youngest child is about 18 months - 2 years old, yes she could very well have been pregnant again, though the next registration is July 1938.
                      Last edited by Vicky the Viking; 30-03-08, 10:19.
                      Vicky

Comment

Vicky

Yes, 1930s seems correct. The little girl is wearing a sort of Mabel Lucie Attwell dress which would be correct for the time as well as the little buttoned soft slippers.

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X