Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish connections help required. (long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish connections help required. (long post)

I originally started my family history because I knew nothing of my fathers side of the family, I knew my fathers siblings and their children and who my grandparents were and that was it :o

My dad was unable to help me much either before he died in 2004, last October I visited some my second cousins in Ireland and spent some time with the RC priest and found to my surprise that my grandad who my dad had thought had one brother was in fact one of 7 children I also managed to confirm who my gt grandparents were, althought I was a little confused as the date of my grandfathers birth did not match the church records, I understand that this was common as it was not easy to get to register births?

I came home really pleased with myself thinking now I have some names I can start serarching the internet to see what happened to them, I am now eight months down the road and still have no idea what happened to any of them, including my gt grandparents.

Can anyone come up with any idea's of where I can get more information from, I have a subscription to findmypast.com but cannot find anything on there?

I am looking for information on :-

Joseph Keating he married Ellen Deasey (great grandparents)

Children:-

Christopher born 4.4.1882 Midleton Co Cork
    Margaret 8.4.1883 Midleton Co Cork
    Daniel 1.4.1888 Midleton Co Cork
    Mary Ellen 06.04.1890 Midleton Co Cork
    Joseph 20.9.1891 Midleton Co Cork (this is my grandfather)
    William 04.06.1893 Midleton Co Cork
    Eliza 16.6.1895 Midleton Co Cork

My grandfather married Margaret O'Keeffe and I know where their graves are, I also am pretty sure that Margaret 08.04.1883 died 26.11.1950 her grave makes a reference to her nephew Lawrence killed in France 1914 - 1918.

I don't know who Lawrence is?

I have found I think some more family but I don't know who they are how they are related etc and have again come to a grinding holt.

IGI search found

Patrick Keating and Mary Cotter

Children

Margaret Christina Keating 6.1.1867 Midleton Co Cork
    Christopher Keating 16.5.1878 Midleton Co Cork

Source information for the above is C701314 C005668 don't know if that is any help.

Midleton is a tiny place so I am almost 100% sure that any name matches will be related some way, it just amazes me how people can just vanish

I imagine you've looked at this site but I'll just post it in case it's of use to anyone

My Irish Ancestry - Irish Ancestry and Genealogy. Griffiths Valuation Search. Family history,immigration,family tree,forums and links

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

thanks for the link I have not seen that site before

Comment

The 1911 census for Dublin is already online ... according to the info, Cork is 5th on the list

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Could the Lennon Wylie site be of any use, my irish lot are all from the north, so I'm not a lot of help...:o

Comment

I have a few Irish sites already but I would rather be told twice about possible sites so if you have any links please let me know.

Comment

Thanks Rachel, I have just registered, any help with Ireland is a godsend lol..

]

Comment

I know that you haven't been able to tell us Lawrence's surname, but I took a chance on him also being an O'Keeffe - and found this:
                CWGC :: Casualty Details
                What do you think?? Perhaps you can find a connection?
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Thanks William for the suggestion, the o'keefe side would have make him my grandmothers nephew, the Lawrence mentioned was nephew to my grandfathers sister, it gets confusing as my grandfather married a Margaret and had a sister Margaret.

I do have a Matthew O'Keeffe CWGC :: Certificate who I am sure was my grandmothers brother

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know much about the geography of County Cork so I don't know if this is the right part of it?
                    Mallow Heritage Centre - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Cork (North & East)

There is a link to click on on that page which should show you which other counties and areas are online so far, and if the area you want isn't available yet then keep checking back to see if it's online - or if you register then they will send you emails whenever a county or area goes online.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the link to Mallow, it was on my list of places to visit next time I go to Ireland, I followed the link and found I could search on line, so far have found my grandparents marriage

Joseph Keating and Helena Deasy 03.2.1881 no mention of names of father other than Keating and Deasy, have two witness names one I guess is Helena's brother Michael Deasy

Thank you all so much

Comment

I suggest you join Cork Genealogical Society. I have ancestors from Midleton and Midleton is quite a big place. Remember that even the smallest places have many townlands. Midleton itself has many many townlands. Deasy is a name more associated with West Cork, so it would pay you to cast your net wide. Midleton was a hotbed of Irish unrest and the name Deasy appears as one of the hotheads! a lot of sites are coming online for Cork through the Cork G S and I have access to many of these. Try the following website:

Cork Genealogical Society

Cost £11 to join.

You could try the following site for Tithe Aplotments in Mallow but I could not see any Deasy but TA tends to be about 1830/1840.

Tithes

Cork Mallow Heritage Centre is not a place where you can do your own FH. It is a place where you just give details and they do the research for you at a good price!!

On the following website will find a surname index and under D you will find a few Deasy.

West Cork Families

Try the following Wikipedia for Deasy and also put Deasy into google and see what comes up!

Deasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mallow is now online at 10 euros a throw but they do not give you a lot of help in sorting out the various parishes and townlands.

Midleton is the Diocese of Cloyne and if you want to research in Dublin you will need to get permission from the Mallow Heritage Centre to do your own research. Permission is easy and free to obtain, at least it was when I did mine last year, but you must obtain a letter allowing you to do your own research! The County Library of Cork just outside the Cork City boundary is a good place to do much research for Cork ancestors.

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 30-03-08, 11:07.

Comment

Thanks Janet for the information, Mallow have a offer on at present which I think ends today at 5 euros a search, I found the information above from there but was disapointed to find no mention of the parents names.

Janet do you visit Midleton often? I try and go at least once a year, but the cold damp weather does put me off I have to say

Comment

Marie,

I try to get to Cork every other year as I still have family in environs. OH has a cousin who lives in Midleton, so we visit when I see my Cork cousins. I have Heffernan and Hennessy who lived in Midleton but then moved to Cork City, as they worked on the railways. These were found for me by someone in the Cork GS on a Parish Census of 1842 Midleton. But they are not from Midleton, I am sure. Will have to try to get to Dublin Library to see if I can find their Baptisms in Midleton. Deasy is a more uncommon name than Hennessy and Heffernan, so you may have better luck than me on the Mallow site. I usually find about 10 to have to choose from!

You obviously know the date of marriage and the people who married and as this is after the State Registration of 1864, I would advise going after the full marriage Cert from Dublin/Roscommon and that will give you parents' names. Cost of Cert is probably around £5/7. Used to be
                            £2 50 from Dublin GRO when you were doing research yourself. Hm I used to think that Ireland, particularly the West side, to include Cork area was damp, but of latter years I think the weather in London gets pretty damp and miserable!! Except that today is unexpectedly lovely spring weather. Thought it was going to rain today!

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 30-03-08, 15:53.

Comment

Working...
                            X