Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google then chase up EVERYTHING

I am ELATED.
    Cos we're nosy, lol, a friend asked me to find out the details of a house for sale in our village. I entered the name of the village+house for sale, -several properties came up but not the one I wanted, so I tried every other link that had come up on the google search.
    One took me to a local genealogy site I'd forgotten about, so had a poke about on there and found a post from someone looking for a James Holmes Bell, who had married an Emma Claxton. They're on my tree, but no sight of them after their 1886 marriage.
    Someone had replied "Might they have gone to Australia? Someone has put them on Ancestry."
    Over to Ancestry - there they were, with 4 named daughters, but no dates, although it mentioned Queensland. Also on Rootsweb, but no more info.
    Nothing on emigration on Find my Past or the Ship's List.
    I then tried our Wiki and under Queensland I found links which took me to the historical indexes on line.
    I now know when James Holmes Bell died, that he and Emma had 10 children born in Queensland between 1887 and 1902 and that 3 of these died in infancy.

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed to our Wiki and my tip is never give up and follow every possible lead.

2 of Emma's sisters also drop off the earth berween 1881 and 1891 - I wonder if......
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

What a stroke of luck.........but if you're still feeling nosy... give this one a try; its the site I use when I'm looking around for properties for sale, most estate agents use it to advertise.

Properties for sale, homes to rent, overseas property, retirement properties and new homes on rightmove.co.uk
    Kathleen

Comment

Janet, you've inspired me! Thank you.

Things have started to get "stale" for me, as often these days I cannot break my brick walls. So, reading your thread posting is very encouraging.

Again, thank you. That's great you've managed to find that, by the way!
      x

Comment

Glenys - I hope you've put your name down for the weekly "Who do we think you are?". You'll be surprised at how many brick walls get bypassed by the lateral thinkers here.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X