Death in America, update!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in America, update!

I am wondering how I can find a possible death in America, is there something like an American version of Free BDM?

My gg-uncle William Ennis, was murdered in Virginia City, Montana in 1898 by Martin Peel. Using the free trial on the Gale site, I have found various newspaper reports of his shooting, and bits about the trial of Martin Peel. The last thing I can find is a report in December 1898 that says Martin Peel was found "guilty of murder in the first degree, which certainly means death on the gallows." It also said that a motion would be made for a new trial. I have not been able to find a report of the sentencing or the hanging of Martin Peel, and wondered what happened to him. It would tidy my notes up nicely if I could find his death!
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

Outside Bozeman - Southwest Montana's Outdoor Journal - The Magazine

If the town’s founders ever fished, the history records make little mention of it—but they did own elk as pets. We also know that William, Sr. built the Ennis Post Office and became its postmaster in 1881. He owned 2,000 acres and enjoyed considerable prosperity until his life was brutally cut short in 1898, when he was shot dead by his former friend, Martin Peel. No one knows Peel’s motives, but some speculate he was mentally unstable and, perhaps, resentful: Ennis had beaten Peel in a school board election, and was subsequently chosen over him to lead a vigilante posse to track down horse thieves. A transcript of the murder trial can be viewed at the local courthouse.

The town of Ennis is now primarily cattle country and, as it’s better known, the epicenter of fishing on the Madison.

have you seen this
    Last edited by Guest; 29-03-08, 00:36.

Comment

Thanks Val, got all those!

We grew up with the stories of William, my grandmother's uncle. I can still remember the disappointment I felt as a child brought up on a diet of old Western movies on Sunday afternoon TV, when I discovered that he was not shot by Indians! I was sure that being in Virginia City he had to be a cowboy!!

:D:D:D
      Christine
      Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Virginia City, Montana - Home Page

has an e-mail for contact at the bottom. Worth a try!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

- just wondered whether you had seen this Ennis
          Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 29-03-08, 19:52.
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

As I understand it, BMD registrations in the USA are controlled at state level and there is not a national system like we have in the UK, so you have to search the indexes for different states individually. FamilySearch and ancestry.com have various BMD indexes for various states covering various date ranges so it is worth looking to see what they have and see if you get lucky!
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooooo! I posted a question on the Montana Board on Ancestry yesterday, and I have just received a message with a couple of photo's of William's grave. The wonderful lady went out today and took them for me!

Isn't the Genealogy community wonderful!
              Christine
              Mary Jean Iron

Comment

OOH!

It's amazing. Just a few years ago the idea that you could be helped by someone you've never met or spoken to, thousands of miles away in a different continent, would be mind-blowing. Let alone the idea that you could share your excitement with many other people also thousands of miles away on yet another continent!!

Comment

Lol Nell!

I am still skipping around the house, and have to keep going back to my computer to make sure the photos are still there!

:D:D
                  Christine
                  Mary Jean Iron

Comment

What a lovely feeling!

Comment

This is amazing, just got this email

My mother and I were out cemetery hunting yesterday. The last time I was in Ennis I took the Ennis headstone photo but I didn't like it. So I took it again with about the same results. The trees shadows are in the way. No matter what time of day. Then I saw your request and thought someone was trying to tell me something.

I have a subscription to historical newspapers, but I forgot until 10 minutes ago. Sometimes you just have to hit me over the head. Martin Peel was convicted on 2nd degree murder and sentenced to hang. His attorneys ask for a new trial but were denied. The sentence was then stayed by an appeal of Mr. Peel's attorney. Then it was sent back for a new trial.He was then sentenced to 15 years in prison. He was committed June 23, 1900 (he is in the 1900 census as a prisoner in Madison County) With good time allowances is term would expire March 23, 1909. When he died he was at the state prison in Deer Lodge. He died November 1905 . He is buried in the Virginia City cemetery. It is snowing like crazy so a trip to Virginia City is not possible for awhile. Nasty Nasty roads. I will send all of the paperwork as soon as I get it all together.
                      I now have the answers and I am actually glad that Martin Peel did not hang for William's murder!

My ancestry subscription that came with my new FTM has America, so off to find the above census.

WoooooooHoooooooo!
                      Christine
                      Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Working...
                      X