X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone offer an explanation?

1851 census of England:
    HO107; Piece: 1480; Folio: 650; Page: 38
    Cornelius Flanagan's family. What does it say for Maryann? And if it says what I think it says, how come?! I won't give my transcription yet just in case somebody else looking at it fresh can read it differently!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I'm going in!
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Birthplace NK, although John, who's also aged 1, is shown as born in Westminster (?).

Can't think of a sensible explanation.

Comment

Maryann daughter aged 1, N K ?

At least I think it says that!

Joanie

Comment

Erm I can only see its n/k for pob?
          Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Can't be Nofolk then?

Comment

Yes,that's what I thought it said, John son 1 born Westminster, Maryann daur 1 born N K. How could they not know where she was born???
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Pippa Doll View Post
                Can't be Nofolk then?

It means "not known", Pippa, that's what seems weird in this case!
                KiteRunner

Comment

Do you think she is likely to be the Camberwell one?

Comment

Births Sep 1849:
                    Flannagan John Westminster 1 454
                    Flannagan Mary Ann Westminister 1 454

Maybe there is a person missing on the census after Mary Ann and they put that person's birthplace on Mary Ann's line by mistake.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Possible explanations:

The person who answered the questions hadn't got a clue where the baby was born - may not have been either parent who answered the door.

It is an enumerator's mistake and the birthplace got lost in the transference to the books.

(No dafter than my Jane Holden, age UNKNOWN! Couldn't someone have had a bit of a guess, to the nearest decade or so).

OC

Comment

I have an example of the pob given for the teenage children but NK for the parents. I assume the parents were out when the enumerator called and the eldest son was unhelpful or even truculent. He subsequently committed a brutal murder and was hanged so it may have been a prudent decision not to trouble him further.

Peter

Comment

Perhaps the enumerator put a ditto mark on his notes and then couldn't read it when transferring the info, so put NK, meaning he didn't know?
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

The person who answered the questions hadn't got a clue where the baby was born
                            Except that she was one of twins, and the other twin's birthplace is given.
                            Janet's explanation seems plausible.

Comment

I guess there was an error when copying from the original forms. Either it was a ditto that looked like Not known, or it said Westminster but was badly written so person put not known as they couldn't read it.

At least the fact of her being a twin makes it easy for you to know where she was born all these years later!
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                              X