1861 and 1871 census look up please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 and 1871 census look up please

I have a photograph of an elderly lady...on the back of the photograph it says 'taken in 1869..... Sophia widow of the Rev J C Glaves, late rector Stonton Wyville Leicestershire, aged 70' The picture was taken in Leeds, and is in my grandfathers Victorian CV album.

I am trying to place this lady in my family tree and wondered if it was possible to find this lady in the 61 and 71 census.

Cheers

Brenda

I have tried to attach a copy of the back of the photograph, but am getting a message to say the attachment is too big...how do I make it smaller????

Brenda

Comment

Anyone called Pollard in your tree?

In 1871 Sophia was a boarder in the household of Sarah Pollard, widow, aged 44, born Selby, Yorks, Sophia was also born in Selby, and was living on dividends and interest.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-03-08, 21:29.

Comment

No...sorry!

Comment

The 1871 says she is a widow aged 71 born in Selby, Yorks. She is boarding with a widow named Sarah Pollard aged 49, also born in Selby. They are in the parish of St Maurice in York at 14 Penley's Grove.

RG10; Piece: 4749; Folio: 115; Page: 28

Comment

lol Snap Mary!

Comment

In 1881 she was a boarder in the household of Mary Daniel, 54, unmarried, born Leeds. There were visitors called Shackleton and Tebbs in the household.

Deaths Mar 1882
              Glaves Sophia 82 Leeds 9b 341

Comment

In 1861 she's a widow, mistranscribed as Glave, living as a boarder in the household of Charles Hall, maltster, in Wansford, Northamptonshire,
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-03-08, 21:37.

Comment

Thats the link, Mary Daniel is my family, but I still do not have the connection, Is there any way I could find her maiden name?

Thanks a lot

Brenda

Comment

There's a death for a John Cass Glaves in Market Harboro district in Q4 1859. Might be her OH?

Comment

There's a marriage for John Cass Glaves:

Marriages Sep 1837
                      CLARKE Sophia Pateley Bridge 23 327 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<??????
                      GILL Thomas Pateley Bridge 23 327
                      GLAVES John Cass Hatley Bridge 23 327 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                      GREETHAM Christopher Pateley Bridge 23 327
                      HALLOWDAY Robert Pateley Bridge 23 327
                      MITCHELL Edith Pateley Bridge 23 327
                      NEWBOULD Dinah Pateley Bridge 23 327
                      WILKINSON Eliza Pateley Bridge 23 327

Any Clarkes in your tree?

Comment

Yes, finally found them together in 1851, mistranscribed as Glaser.

The household consists of:

John C Glaser, head, 45, Vicar of Laxton
                        Sophia Glaser, 43, wife
                        Mary Glaser 85?, mother
                        Eliz Clarke, 76, mother-in-law

There are also two servants and a lady whose status I can't read (nurse?)

They're living in Laxton, Northamptonshire.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-03-08, 21:45.

Comment

There's a couple of submitted IGI entries suggesting Sophia's parents are William Clarke and Elizabeth nee Wilson.

Comment

From the 1841 and 1851 it looks like they had no children and Sophia knocked a few years off her age!

Comment

Originally posted by pyghtle View Post
                              Thats the link, Mary Daniel is my family, but I still do not have the connection, Is there any way I could find her maiden name?

Thanks a lot

Brenda

Do they have to be related? It's a mistake I've often made......People might have photos of friends

Comment

They're in Laxton in 1841. The household consists of John and Sophia, his mother Mary, and in a separate household in the same building an Elizabeth Braskill?, 66, and a servant.

Comment

Sophia apparently left a will, according to a notice in the Leeds Mercury in 1882. Her executors were Rev. John Morpott, William Piercey and Henry Snowdon.
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-03-08, 22:10.

Comment

John was baptised in Thornton Dale in 1806, parents Francis and Mary Glaves. Can't find a marriage for them.

Comment

Yes, That would be her husband, so if a marriage could be found, then that would give her maiden name.

I am thinking that if she went back to Leeds after her husband died, then maybe that is where she came from originally and could have been a Daniel?

Brenda

Comment

Sophia came from Selby, and her maiden name was Clarke. Her mother's maiden name may have been Wilson, as Merry said.

Comment

Working...
                                        X