Correcting mistakes on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting mistakes on Ancestry

Does anyone know if you can correct a mistake in the place where born on Ancestry? As far as I can tell you can only correct or add alternate names.

If so could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Joanie

Only name corrections are allowed so far.

Comment

Most annoying but not as bad as the IGI - just spotted someone whose birthplace is

Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, Yorkshire, England.

EDIT - DOH! Meant to say you can leave a note though, on the comments and corrections thingy.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Most annoying but not as bad as the IGI - just spotted someone whose birthplace is

EDIT - DOH! Meant to say you can leave a note though, on the comments and corrections thingy.

OC

Thanks Mary & OC

Doesn't help others searching for them then!

Joanie

Comment

I've never been able to get the Comments bit to work. Possibly because I'm on a Mac?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That's odd - I can't see why that should make any difference. How far do you get with it?

Comment

I click on the link and it just hangs. Mind you - I haven't bothered trying for ages, because when it does that it's really rather boring.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I click on the link and it just hangs. Mind you - I haven't bothered trying for ages, because when it does that it's really rather boring.

Christine
                Hi Christine
                I used to find this as well on my Mac, but forgot the other day and actually managed to do one :D
                Maybe they have changed the system, as a lot of things on there have been altered recently, including stopping me from 'adblocking' pages with FireFox if I want to do a search :(
                Alison

Researching:
                CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

In that case, I'd better give it a try. I usually go in with Safari, but will try Firefox if that doesn't work.

Christine

Comment

Only today I found someone born in Horney [should be Hornsey].

It's a nuisance, and when the county is wrong as well I despair!
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was stumped for a while by my DENBIGHSHIRE ancestors listed as DEVONSHIRE!

I did put a sneaky correction under the guise of the 'alternate name' bit, but as has been said, this will not come up in a search.
                      It's about time that they made this possible!
                      Alison

Researching:
                      CAVE, CUCKOW/COSHOW, DAKIN, GILBERT, GINN, HUXLEY, LEATT, LETTEN, PATTERSON, PERRY, PORTER, SOMMERVILLE, WEEDON, WHITING
                      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1025
                      http://www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=2650

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC

Just to make that even more annoying - there IS a place called Wales in Yorkshire

I have in the past tried doing a universal change for a parish, which worked for a while but has now been taken off:( The whole of Whitwell, Derbyshire has been transcribed as Whitwick in 1891. That's places of birth and location too.

I'd also like to change one place of birth which is transcribed as Clsow instead of Clowne
                        Barbara

Comment

So cross!

A while ago I submitted a correction for William Trafford who had been mistranscribed as William Frafford. The whole family had been mistranscribed and I stated this in the little box.

They have only corrected the one name! On another census, his son Walter has been mistranscribed as NAWAR GRAFFORD!

OC

Comment

OC

I think you have to submit corrections for every individual in a household - I don't have time for that, so I choose the person with the least common first name, on the grounds that anyone looking for the Bloggs family will choose Juniper Bloggs to find rather than William Bloggs.

But its so annoying, and the number of times I've done a random search for an indvidual surname Jones, b. 1867, Gloucestershire in a census, and you get pages where you can clearly see that Janes should be James and Cirncester should be Cirencester etc it does make me cross.

It's OK if the beginning of the word is OK, but if that's mucked about you are stumped and have to resort to scrawling "Lower Bloggton" in bad writing to see if you can guess how its been misrecorded!

Comment

Well I suppose the GOOD thing about Nawar Grafford is that he jumped off the page at me.

I am astounded at the many ways this surname has been mistranscribed on all the censuses. It is a very common name in the area.

I often wonder how much Ancestry paid to have the censuses transcribed - they were robbed!

OC

Comment

I wish they had an incentive scheme, for every correction you submit they will give you an extra day's subscription?

But as to names, whether they are relatively common or not, they are at the mercy of the recorders, enumerators and transcribers. One Warwickshire village in 1841 George has been written Goerge in every instance, and Emma as Emmah.

Chowns has been Chouns, Chown, Chowndes, Thomas, Chones...
                                Smoothy has been Timothy on a couple of occasions
                                Purvey has been Curvey on 2 separate censuses, 2 different branches of family. Until I saw the image I had no idea how anyone could misread P as C!

If they'd been forced to write everything in unjoined block capitals it would have been much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                  I wish they had an incentive scheme, for every correction you submit they will give you an extra day's subscription?
                                  The downside to that is the huge number of silly corrections, like changing women's married surnames to single and vice versa, and the several times I've seen George "corrected" to Geroge.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I must admit if I find a family with the wrong name, I spend ages correcting them because I feel that someone else may be looking for them & I would hate for them never to be found!

I notice I get emails from Ancestry thanking me for correcting names, I don't know when they started to do that though.

Joanie

Comment

They've been sending acknowledgment emails for some time now. I've been saving mine as evidence in case I can persuade them that genuine corrections (or a multiple thereof) should make one eligible for an extra day or so for free.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                      X