Gale newspaper trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gale newspaper trial

Would like to say thank you to the person who alerted us to this site.
    Have found so much information.

Have been very shocked to find the death by burning of my gg grandmother. Had been searching for years for a death reg.. The newspaper report gave a date which we would never have thought was her, as bmd had her age as 50 when in fact she was 80.

Have found my gg grandfather fined for selling fish not fit to eat, on the market!

An attempted murder of a husband by his drunken wife.

A few assaults.

quite a few bankruptcies.

I am spending hours on this site!

Thank you again
    Pam

Glad you have found some useful information. I have found nothing on there at all.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The newspapers are quite carefully selected to represent a spread of regional news throughout the 19C. I did manage to find a lot about a criminal gg uncle (OH's !!) because he was from Hull and that is one of the papers represented.

On the other hand there is nothing about my Bedfordhsire ancestors at all. They would only be there if they hit the 'big' news!

Anne

Comment

I've found a few bits and pieces, mostly births. The date of one of them predates the extracted IGI entry by a fortnight.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, I've been a bit lucky because one of my relatives in Bradford was involved in a case that made the Leeds papers, but the lack of newspapers for Leicestershire and Staffordshire means there's nothing much for all the people I have in those areas.

Comment

I would be really grateful if anyone could please pm me the free trial link ;)

Thanks ladies who kindly forwarded it. Off to have a dig around and see what I can find
            Last edited by DeeSpangle; 29-03-08, 10:50. Reason: Update
            Dawn

Comment

Must admit, all my info is in the same area on my tree. There are areas where l'm not getting anything.

But l am thrilled with what l have got. Have just got a Brothel keeper on OH tree. He didnt admit to being that on the census lol
              Pam

Comment

Pam are you searching on just the name only someone on here recently found information on relatives when they searched the street address.
                Dawn

Comment

Hi Dee.

Have been searching on the street names mostly, but have put all kinds of things in.
                  Most of my info has come from the Birmingham Post, which was the nearest city to me. Sometimes if you put too much information in, it doesn,t bring anything up.

Have to say that a lot of the info is,nt very nice news, but it happened and l have to accept that . Its certainly putting meat on the bones
                  Pam

Comment

I am here to say thank you too, i now know what my great grandfather did to earn himself an award from the Royal Humane Society, he was a policeman.

His burial is also discribed in 1895, which says his coffin was of Olive wood with brass handles and plate engraved with his name John Tomlinson
                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

I would be really grateful if anyone could please pm me the free trial link
                      can I also ask the same please

Comment

Yes it certainly does help to add a bit of meat to the bones.

I have a relative who attempted to shoot a Ship's Captain, sadly an 11 year old who drowned skating and finally, several months after my relatives moved out but their lodger remained, he was found dead from starvation and when discovered he was being eaten by rats. How awful and sad.

These old newspapers really give us a true glimpse into life back then. We can all moan about things nowdays but back then it certainly wasn't the "good old days".
                        Dawn

Comment

Hi Marie

Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home

If you put in your e-mail address they will send a password. Put "none" in the other boxes and "international" for state.
                          Gillian
                          User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

The link doesn't work for me. It cannot display web page.

Comment

Marie and Maggie I have sent you a PM
                              Dawn

Comment

Strange Maggie? I've just tested it and it works for me.

Try googling Gale - Instant Trial - the first result should take you to the same page as the above link.
                                Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                                  Strange Maggie? I've just tested it and it works for me.

Try googling Gale - Instant Trial - the first result should take you to the same page as the above link.
                                  No I did that as well still couldn't get in. Even tried the local authority Library link and that didn't work.

Not sure why, its baffling me.

Comment

The link doesn't work for me either, or googling. I've tried many times over the past few days, I just get "internet explorer cannot display the page"

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                      The link doesn't work for me either, or googling. I've tried many times over the past few days, I just get "internet explorer cannot display the page"
                                      aha we have the same problem again. Also we are using the same ISP and the same version of Internet Explorer etc etc.

Comment

I use firefox but have just tried with IE and it works there too.

Could it be something to do with the security settings on your computers?
                                        I have AVG with pop-up blocker, adaware and zonealarm.

It's worth persevering.
                                        I found some missing Oxford marriages, adverts for sale of the estates of some of mine, pension awards, my gt grandfather, a greengrocer, being done by the weights and measures people for dodgy scales plus lots of local interest stories for Wiltshire and Ireland.

Update - mine is IE6
                                        Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                        X