illogan parish registers on CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• illogan parish registers on CD

Does anyone know if Illogan parish registers are available on CD later than the 1880's,i've been tryin to find some info from 1917,and a little earlier,with no luck.
    I've tried googling and it's always parish registers up to about 1830/40.
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

It might help if I knew where Illogan was, but most CD's of parish registers tend to concentrate on the early part of the 19th century and the centuries before that because of the fact that civil registration records aren't available for that time. Also, you have less chance of finding your relatives in the parish registers for the 20th century because not so many people were baptised and register office weddings became more popular, plus of course many people are cremated or buried in a council cemetery rather than church graveyard.

So you may well find you have to go to the records office to look at the parish register for the dates you want, sorry.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Illogan is in Cornwall.

There's an online parish clerk for Illogan who you can reach by e-mail here:

Parish of Illogan

The OPC I used for another part of Cornwall was brilliant and sent me a detailed (with second marriages, census information etc) 5-page genealogy after I simply enquired if she could tell me a bit about my great-grandmother!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Google "Illogan Parish Church" and the second hit is online records of the various churches in the parish! I haven't investigated closely but there are certainly records online upto the 1950s.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Illogan is in Cornwall.

There's an online parish clerk for Illogan who you can reach by e-mail here:

Parish of Illogan

The OPC I used for another part of Cornwall was brilliant and sent me a detailed (with second marriages, census information etc) 5-page genealogy after I simply enquired if she could tell me a bit about my great-grandmother!
          I've just emailed the OPC,but i've got a feeling i've tried him before with no luck,the parish chest shop doesn't do anything for the period i'm interested in either,aarghh.
          What about cornwall FHS i'm not a member,but is it worth me trying?

Comment

Alan

Is the information not on the site I posted above?

OC

Comment

CFHS records: Cornwall -> Illogan

hi alanjohn

I’m not a member of the CFHS either, but my understanding is that the Society ‘publishes’ all of its records via Family History OnLine (FHOL) which is a pay-per-view site. Records are typically 6p or 7p each, with a minimum voucher purchase of £5. When you get to the FHOL site, click on “Databases”, then click on “Available Databases” from the drop-down menu. At the next page, click on “CON Cornwall” where you can see what data they have. It includes all the censuses from 1841-1901, with the exception of 1881; personally, I’d prefer to search these through through FreeCEN or the Cornwall Online Census Project site.

More interesting are the following databases – I’m fairly sure these all come from the CFHS:

Cornwall Baptism Details 314 places (1537-1916)* ongoing 1,044,969 entries
              Cornwall Marriage Details 210 places (1537-1839) 244,102 entries
              Cornwall Burial Details 216 places (1594-1902) 265,371 entries
              Cornwall MI Index 420 places (1017-1999)* ongoing 306,266 entries

All of the above last updated 08 Aug 2006.

* = actual years vary per parish
              It’s possible to see what coverage they have for any given parish by following the link for each database. Checking for Illogan, you’ll see:

Baptisms
              Parish No. of entries Year range
              ILLOGAN 11817 1613-1858

Marriages
              ILLOGAN 3240 1601-1837

Burials
              ILLOGAN 2220 1813-1837

MIs
              Burial ground No. of entries Year range
              ILL. CEMETERY 3377 1878-1999
              ILL. PARISH CH. 641 1754-1964
              So unless you want to find a grave (or at least what was on it), there’s nothing close to 1917 that’s likely to be of much help. Interestingly, the information on the FHOL site is considerably more current than that given via the CFHS “Transcription Progress” page, which appears to have last been updated 9 May 2004.

As you probably know, the FFHS is turning over distribution of their members’ data to findmypast.com. As mentioned there (under “Will all the data be available on findmypast.com?”), some FHSs may choose not to sign the new distribution agreement. I have no idea what the CFHS’ position is, but I did read on their Online Store page:
              “Our new online store is currently under development and will be online soon, allowing you to purchase our Parish records as well as purchasing/renewing your membership.”
              So perhaps we won’t be forced to go through findmypast.

OC –

I looked at the page you referred alanjohn to, but assuming that your Google results were the same as mine, the only records available directly from that site are “Parish Church Burial Ground Records (from 1895)”.
              According to that site:

“These are not Burial Register entries - they are mainly based on the sextons' records of burial plots in St Illogan churchyard. Recording commenced when the churchyard was extended in 1895. There are no records of burial plot locations before this date.”
              However, I did follow a link from that site which led me to the Illogan OPC’s pages. While there isn't much data hosted on the site, one page seems to give a thorough description of exactly what data are available and where they are. Another page gives a list of researchers following particular families in the parish, including their e-mail addresses, which may be helpful in finding related individuals

I know that this answer is much longer than necessary, but hopefully someone will find this information useful.

Good luck –

Tim.
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

thanks,
                I've had a reply from David Crocker(very quickly!)the OPC,unfortunately he only has record's for illogan up to the 1840's ,although he did say he has plenty of info for Cuby.If anyone's interested.

Comment

ahhhh a man after me own heart...

Mr. B

Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                  X