Matthew Conroy before 1881?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Conroy before 1881?

Can anyone find this family before the 1881c please..
    1881,RG11; Piece 2711 folio 15 Page 26

1881c..- Ancestry.co.uk

Matthew Conroy 53 Roscommon Ireland
    Mary Conroy 56 Roscommon Ireland
    James Conroy 26 Tunstall Staffordshire
    Matthew 18 Tunstall
    Catherine 15 Tunstall.

I dont know the wifes maiden name but have just ordered young Matthews birth cert. Thanks..

]

Here they are in 1861:

RG9; Piece: 1925; Folio: 71; Page: 19

Comment

Thanks a lot Merry, I thought it was mistranscibed but couldnt think how lol..
      Thank you.. do you think Anoria could be Annie?
      Last edited by Northern Light; 28-03-08, 16:01.

]

Comment

I can't see them on the in-between one yet!

Also, they should be around in 1851 is their 10-year-old was born in Tunsall, as they say. No luck with that either yet!

Comment

Merry, they have an Annie Conroy dau but I have her as born Ireland 1851, Annies daughter is with them on the 1881c Eliza Moore..
          hope you understand that lol.. I wondered if the Anoria on the 1861 that you found was her?

this is what I have on Annie Conroy..
          1881, RG11 Piece: 2710 Folio 28 Page: 8, 8 Wellington St Staffordshire (Wolstanton)
          1891c RG12; Piece: 3051; Folio 77; Page 19. 15 Stuart St Scholes Wigan. Patrick Burk named as uncle.
          1901, RG13; Piece: 3552; Folio: 39; Page: 20 12 Swan terr Scholes.
          Married in Woolstanton Staffordshire vol 6b page 242 3rd quart 1873.
          Last edited by Northern Light; 28-03-08, 21:03.

]

Comment

There's no marriage or death for an Anoria Conroy (or a birth, for that matter!), so there may be something up with that firstname :(

Comment

Mathew and Mary are my great, great grandparents. I think that I know a bit about Mathew's family in Roscommon, but does anyone know more about Mary. I suspect that she ended up in a workhouse in Stoke-on-Trent. I think that her maiden name might be McCormick, but am otherwise struggling.

Dave x

Comment

Catherine on 1881 was born 1864 mms was indeed McCORMICK. Wolstanston covers Tunstall.

CONROY, CATHERINE MCCORMICK
                GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 95

Same for Matthew

CONROY, MATTHEW MCCORMICK
                GRO Reference: 1862 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 106

Not finding a birth for any James CONROY in the right area of Staffordshire 1854 +/- 2 years.
                Last edited by GallowayLass; 19-06-22, 20:47.

Comment

Galloway Lass, thank you so much for that. I know that Mary (Mathew's wife and Catherine's mum) was from Roscommon but there the leads go cold. If anyone comes across anything about Mary's parents I would be incredibly grateful as I have drawn a blank. Thanks again x

Comment

Just chucking thoughts about;

Were Matthew and Mary ever married? as there’s this birth in Liverpool that might be James as many Irish immigrants came in through Liverpool.

MCCORMICK, JAMES -
                    GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in LIVERPOOL Volume 20 Page 461

Or perhaps they were (haven’t found evidence yet) and they were not yet in Tunstall in 1851 but could have been shortly afterwards so James would have grown up there?

CONROY, JAMES MCCORMICK
                    GRO Reference: 1853 S Quarter in MANCHESTER Volume 08D Page 112

Comment

have you got all the other census, this thread was asking for any info on that and 1861 was found

I can see that there are other children, guess some died young, had a quick look on GRO and seems to be a few, I think the Bridget maybe badly transcribed?

this was just 1852 with 2 year female - GRO is on go slow tonight
                      CONROY, MARY MCCORMICK
                      GRO Reference: 1852 M Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 89
                      CONNELLY, BRIDGETT MCTREE
                      GRO Reference: 1854 D Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 59
                      CONRY, ANN MCCORMIC
                      GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in WOLSTANTON AND BURSLEM UNION Volume 17 Page 305
                      CONRY, WINEFRED MCCORMICK
                      GRO Reference: 1854 J Quarter in WOLSTANTON Volume 06B Page 94

so worth returning to it later and finding all the children

I can see a Bernard's baptism in Ireland that fits - wonder if they took the back home for baptism, or maybe just common names and coincidence?
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

#10 probably wrong as I have found these on ukbmd.org with variant spellings of CONROY and McCORMICK so the family should be in Tunstall on the 1851 census.

CONRY John MCCORMICK 1848 Tunstall Stoke-On-Trent TUN/012/034
                        CONRY Ann MCCORMIC 1850 Tunstall Stoke-On-Trent TUN/014/024

Also on GRO

CONRY, JOHN MCCORMICK
                        GRO Reference: 1848 S Quarter in WOLSTANTON AND BURSLEM UNION Volume 17 Page 294

CONRY, ANN MCCORMIC
                        GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in WOLSTANTON AND BURSLEM UNION Volume 17 Page 305
                        Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-06-22, 00:45.

Comment

Were the couple Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland or other Protestant denomination?

This page should help you with what exists parish record-wise for County Roscommon although sadly it looks like there’s lots of gaps in early years. If they were Roman Catholic, you are not going to find a civil registration for their marriage as they didn’t begin till 1864. Protestant marriages (actually properly any other option that wasn’t Roman Catholic) began to be recorded on 1 April 1845. Prior to those two start dates, you are reliant on parish records.

Comment

cbcarolyn Snap LOL. You are quicker than me
                            Last edited by GallowayLass; 20-06-22, 01:05.

Comment

Thank you for all of your help. It's really kind of you both ... They are Catholic as far as I know (at least they married into Catholic families when they settled in Tunstall and, from memory, I that Mary married in the local RC church (then St Marys, which confusingly was also the name of the C of E Church, now Sacred Heart) so that will complicate things I guess in terms of tracing a marriage/her parents' first names. I think that the Irish McCormicks are always going to be a mystery and I am ok with that. Thanks again x

Comment

Originally posted by DocDaveGreen View Post
                                Thank you for all of your help. It's really kind of you both ... They are Catholic as far as I know (at least they married into Catholic families when they settled in Tunstall and, from memory, I that Mary married in the local RC church (then St Marys, which confusingly was also the name of the C of E Church, now Sacred Heart) so that will complicate things I guess in terms of tracing a marriage/her parents' first names. I think that the Irish McCormicks are always going to be a mystery and I am ok with that. Thanks again x
                                do you have all census or just 61 and 81?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hi Carolyn, I have all the info I need about their life in England and can trace The Conroy family back a way in Roscommon, I am unsure about the identity of Mary's parents, although I have a hunch about them too now so that is looking promising. Thank you for your kind help with this x

Comment

i tend to build a picture of someone and then that can lead to more records. If you have a full set of census and all the children, it's probably a case of just keep plugging away and something might turn up.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Thanks Carolyn, that sounds like a good strategy. Thanks again for all if your help x

Comment

Working...
                                      X