Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have coachmen in their tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have coachmen in their tree?

I am still trying to keep up with my Joneses lol!

How likely would a coachman have been to travel from Gloucester, to Devon then over to Yoxford in Suffolk ? (and I mean the furthest east Suffolk you can get lol)

My William Jones married Susanna Wills (can't find marriage) circa 1819, children were born all over the place (Gloucester, Devon & Suffolk) up to when he died in 1839 (why is it they always manage to before the 1841 census ). I have his last daughter's birth cert from 1838 & he was a "coachman". Susanna is a teacher on the 1841 census.

I know there was a place called Cockfield Hall in Yoxford, where Lord & Lady Blois lived. In 1851 they have a chap working as a Coachman for them.

I am wondering if up until his death it was possible that William worked for them as a coachman? I wondered if the death cert would give any more info, or whether it is possible that he died in an accident & it may have been in the local papers at all?

What would be the likelyhood of there being lots of coachmen in one place, or was the job specifically more of the "chaffeur" type in those days?

Thanks!

Joanie

Hi Joan my great Grandfather was a Domestic Coachman he lived and worked in the house of the Surgeon he was employed by.
    Somebody kindly went to London and took photos of the very house he lived in including what would have been the Stables round the back.
    I have been in touch with other Coachmen rellies and it seems some travelled miles.

Comment

I have a coachman who was born in Devon. He's recorded in various censuses as coachman (domestic), moving around addresses in London.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Val & Uncle John.

I don't know where they married of course, it was before 1837 & they moved around so much. Susanna was born in Dawlish Devon approx 1796, according to later censuses. She never remarried & lived to a good age.

I have seen the Old School house in Yoxford, & wondered if they may have lived there, but the 1841 census doesn't give any address info for them. :(

I didn't even know her maiden name but because my g. grandma was the oldest daughter I couldn't get her birth cert so I sent off for the only one they had after 1837, lol ! Lateral thinking or what? Sadly that child died soon after birth then William died too, in 1839.

Joanie

Comment

In 1891, my Domestic Coachman (aged abt 60) was in Hove, Sussex and there were other coachmen nearby, so I imagine they'd all had to take their Lordships down to Brighton for some shindig !

His wife and most of his offspring were at addresses in the London area.

Before 1881, he and the family were moving around Scotland ... Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire and Perthshire

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 28-03-08, 14:58.
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Joan

Have you tried A2A to see if any estate papers survive for the Blois family? Either in Yoxford or for other estates they owned.

A long shot I know but it worked for one of my ancestors....He was listed in the estate pay books.
            Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 28-03-08, 14:54.
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Hi Chris

What good thinking !

I will go & have a look now.

There was a large coaching Inn in Yoxford that burnt down in 1927, so I guess he could have worked there...

Joanie

Comment

He may have worked in a combination of jobs either for a gentleman or for a company that ran coaches. Before the railways made travelling relatively fast, coaching was a very lucrative trade.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Joan I "lost" the person for whom I was going to look up Susanna Jones in Dawlish/Kenton at devon records office. I had planned to go and then they were closed for stocktaking that very week, then I couldn't remember it was for you. I have all the relevant names and dates : on my RO jotter, so now I will be away. I hope to go on Monday or Tuesday, next. Watch this space, so to speak!

love Sunny R

Comment

Cheers Sunny have pm'd you ;)

Joanie

Comment

I have been thinking (goodness how dangerous). William may have begun working life as a coachman for the Courtney family (they are still the earls of Devon) at Powderham Castle it in Kenton where Susanna is said to have been born.

sunny r

Comment

Joan I have just been on the national archives site and if you put just the words domestic coachman in the seach box there are a few hits, you never know

Comment

Crumbs !

Thanks Sunny & Val !!

What a thought!

This is really weird but many years ago we went to Devon on holiday & visited........Powderham Castle !!

Gosh I must have been a stone's throw from where g.g.g. grandma was born ! Why didn't no-one tell me that then? LOL !

:D

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                          X