missing poole family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing poole family

Looking for family of my nana,doris rose poole born 09091899 at CIRENCESTER GLOUCESTERSHIRE,DIED 13121994 AT HOME of old age 95.in whitehill hampshire.Doris married herbert warwick 1 daughter joan doreen warwick[changed her name by depol to lowe]after doris remarried edgar lowe and they had 1 daughter christine who married harold arnold.would like contact with poole family,dont know who doris parents where.my mother joan married roy alfred langhorn and came to australia.my older sister marion was born in rochford,they lived at that time at 36 retreat road southend on seas.i was born in australia and only got to met my nana 2 times when she came to australia.have know idea who her family is in england but would love to find out.regards liz hutchison[ granddaughter australia]

Hi Liz, welcome to the site

If you order Doris' birth certificate, it will tell you who her parents were.
    You can order it from the GRo - General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

Reference details:
    Doris Rose Poole
    Q4 1899
    District Cirencester
    Volume 6a
    Page 405

Having looked at the 1901 census, it is possible she is the daughter of Charles born c1880 and Rose born c1881. There are no other children listed, so it's possible she was the eldest.

There is a marriage for
    Charles Robert Poole
    Rose Selwyn
    Q2 1899
    Cirencester 6a 841

There are also a few possible siblings. If you look on FreeBMD Home Page and enter the surname Poole and mothers maiden name Selwyn, it will show those who were born after Sep 1911.
    It is more difficult to place those born between 1901 and 1911 as there is no point of reference available yet. It looks like there were a few Poole families in the Cirencester registration district around that time.
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 28-03-08, 12:11.
    Tracy

Comment

If that Doris on the 1901 census is the right one, this looks like her parents' marriage:

Marriages Jun 1899
      Booth Isabella Cirencester 6a 841
      Godfrey George Grayham Cirencester 6a 841
      Poole Charles Robert Cirencester 6a 841
      Selwyn Rose Cirencester 6a 841

Comment

There are some possible siblings for Doris here (unfortunately the mother's maiden name only appears in the index from 1911, so there were probably more children born between 1901 and 1911):

Surname First name(s) / Mother / District / Vol Page

Births Dec 1911
        Poole Mary A / Selwyn / Cirencester / 6a 639

Births Mar 1914
        POOLE Georgina K / Selwyn / Cirencester 6a / 658

Births Jun 1917
        Poole Irene F M / Selwyn / Cirencester / 6a 555

These details come from FreeBMD:

FreeBMD - Search
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-03-08, 11:56.

Comment

Hi Liz,
          Welcome to the site. Glad you found your way in.

It might be worth your while having a look at Genes Reunited.
          Family Tree • Genealogy • Ancestor • Ancestry • Family History
          There are two people on there who have a Doris Poole, born circa 1900 in Poulton, Gloucestershire, on their trees.

There is also a tree on Ancestry World Tree (Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk) that has Doris Poole, daughter of Charles and Rose. It has the submitters email address so he may be able to help you with your tree.
          I will send you a personal message - you will see it at the top right of the screen just under your log in name!
          Elaine

Comment

It's still just as well to get Doris's birth certificate, though, to be quite sure of her parents, because there is another Doris Poole on the 1901 census, born c. 1897, with different parents, and ages on the census aren't always accurate.

Assuming Charles and Rose are the correct parents, they were aged 21 and 20 respectively in 1901, so this is Rose's birth:

Births Sep 1880
            Selwin May Cirencester 6a 390
            Selwin Rose Cirencester 6a 390

May was her twin (they're shown with the same age on the 1891 census). Their father was an invalid receiving parish relief, and there are several more siblings.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out my error Mary. Have amended my post :o
              Tracy

Comment

Liz, I'm not clear whether any of the people you mention in your post are still alive - if they are then we should remove their details, as it is against our site policy to post up details that could identify living people. Could you let me know if any of them are still alive, please?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Liz
                  Your mums parents were Charels and Rose Poole of Poulton, gloucestershire. She had brothers and sisters, Mary, Alice, Francis, Bid and Gerald. They all had family and lived in the Cirencester area. I am Geralds daughter, he was the youngest, and i have a brother Robert and sister Alison. Rose (Selwyn) died a few months after dad was born in 1919 and granddad remarried but I am not sure of her name because no-one ever speaks of her, I think they called her old Annie. Charles died in 1958 and his father was William born about 1866 in Poulton and was married to Jane Davies. Williams father was William born 1846 Poulton.
                  Rose was a twin with and her fafamily came from Maisey Hampton, Gloucestershire. Her father was John Selwyn born 1835.

I hope this helps you,
                  Chris

Comment

It's OK they have all passed away now
                    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris and welcome to Family Tree Forum.
                      Liz hasn't logged on to the forum for some time so may not pick up on your message. I'll send her an email and let her know that you have posted some information which may be of interest.
                      Elaine

Comment

i have a poole family in hawkesbury, im not sure if the were originally from there!

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine
                          Chris

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Hi Chris and welcome to Family Tree Forum.
                          Liz hasn't logged on to the forum for some time so may not pick up on your message. I'll send her an email and let her know that you have posted some information which may be of interest.

Comment

This particular family lived for quite a few generations in Poulton, nr Cirencester. As far as I know they were not from Hawkesbury.

Comment

Working...
                            X