Now I know my ancestors were barking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now I know my ancestors were barking!

I've had a few strange christian names in my tree, but this particular family must have really lost the plot!

In 1891 they were living in Tarston Hall, Suffolk. It sounds posh and as the father was only a farm bailiff, I doubt that they owned it. I can guess when they moved there though ...... about 1882, and they must have been so delighted with their new abode that they actually named their next son Tarston Hall Thompson!!!

That poor child! His siblings have names like George and Flora and Ellen and Alfred and there he is, lumbered with Tarston!!!

Bev

Mine are just as bad. A humble mill worker, must have gone to the Men's Institute for night classes in the classics.

His children are called:

John
    Mary
    Margaret
    Persephone (Parsny as Ancestry has it)
    Xanthe
    Torquil

and um, Jezebel.

OC

Comment

I like Parsny! sounds like a character out of a Thomas Hardy novel!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Bev

LOL !

That's interesting, I have a few Farm Bailiffs in my tree, at first I thought it meant they were there to sling off the tenants that hadn't paid their rent (been watching too much Lark Rise to Candleford lol) but I think it means the were general managers of the farm for the wealthy owners? Not sure what the job entailed exactly so would love to have a bit more info if anyone knows what the bailiffs did?

Joanie

Comment

I don't know exactly what a farm bailiff did either, but I think they collected the rents from the tenant farmers ...... or something!

Comment

A farm bailiff would have financial responsibility, such as collecting the rents, organising and paying for repairs etc.

A farm manager would not have been directly involved with the financial side of things.

OC

Comment

Ooo thanks for that OC !!

Joanie

Comment

Bev and Kev
                It is several years since this started. I am researching Taston Hall Thompson and have just found this site
                I have lots of information - Hope you have some more. It would be great if you have a photo?
                Thanks
                John

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Torquil
                  I'm fascinated by this name at the moment as it's a key name amongst the Macleod chiefs of the Isle of Lewis - it means "Thor's [sacrificial] cauldron" and is Viking/Norse.
                  I don't suppose there's any known Scottish blood in that family??

As for Jezebel - very nice
                  Kind regards,
                  William
                  Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Can't compete with Jezebel, but I do have Delilah - why, why, why Delilah?

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Taston

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                      I'm fascinated by this name at the moment as it's a key name amongst the Macleod chiefs of the Isle of Lewis - it means "Thor's [sacrificial] cauldron" and is Viking/Norse.
                      I don't suppose there's any known Scottish blood in that family??

As for Jezebel - very nice
                      Taston Hall was originally named Tarston
                      It became corrupted probably mid 19th century when
                      maps show a change.
                      Interesting to hear the Viking derivation. Both spelling
                      variations are very rare in UK place names.
                      I am not aware of any Scottish blood!

Comment

Originally posted by tomjon View Post
                        Taston Hall was originally named Tarston
                        It became corrupted probably mid 19th century when
                        maps show a change.
                        Interesting to hear the Viking derivation. Both spelling
                        variations are very rare in UK place names.
                        I am not aware of any Scottish blood!
                        It's not Taston that has the Viking derivation, but OC's Torquil...sorry for any confusion.
                        Kind regards,
                        William
                        Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
                        X