Circus ancestors (new thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circus ancestors (new thread)

Hallo, I found your forum by typing the dreaded words 'TGNa Ancestry subs' into Google, as I too found a mysterious deduction on my credit card statement. A telephone call today to England resulted in a promise of a reimbursement of the sum involved. That was good news, and I found your forum too!
    I am interested in the family cooke, who set up their circus in America in 1836 before returning in disgust. - Cooke's Royal Circus, founded by Thomas Cooke, born 1752.

Originally posted by cooked View Post
    Hallo, I found your forum by typing the dreaded words 'TGNa Ancestry subs' into Google, as I too found a mysterious deduction on my credit card statement. A telephone call today to England resulted in a promise of a reimbursement of the sum involved. That was good news, and I found your forum too!

Every cloud has a silver lining! Welcome to the site and good luck with your research. I am sure someone on here will be able to help you.
    Rose

Comment

Originally posted by cooked View Post
      I am interested in the family cooke, who set up their circus in America in 1836 before returning in disgust. - Cooke's Royal Circus, founded by Thomas Cooke, born 1752.

Have you seen this? I'm just sitting here waiting for my printer to churn out some stuff and thought I'd have a look. It starts the page before and carries on later.

Theatrical Biography, Or, The Life ... - Google Book Search

Roger

Comment

You could also have a look on this site.
        Moggie

Circus Historical Society

Comment

Hello cooked, and welcome to FTF

I've moved your posts and the replies onto this new thread so more of the members can spot your query.

Zoe
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Welcome to the site, cooked!

I don't know if you have found any Cooke family members on the UK censuses at all, but this is the ref for Henry Cooke, tight rope artist, in 1851:

HO107; Piece: 2051; Folio: 13; Page: 19

He was born in Newry, Ireland, but one of his children was born in America.

Comment

There's a couple of pieces in The Times Digital Archive about an accident at Cooke's circus:

4th Nov 1844

5th Nov 1844

I don't have time to look for any more now!

Comment

Cooke's Circus Family

Cooked, you luck is in.

Having a family connection to the Cooke's and at a request from them for some background information I put together, subject to correction etc, a list of Thomas Taplin Cooke's descendants (He had 19 children). This can be seen at http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cookescircus and included are a number of photographs from John Henry's side of things. I also have contact addresses for a few living descendants and if you wish you can contact me directly @fsmail.net using "mailgm". There are fewer than a dozen people in the world that are active in the research for the circus Cookes - South Africa, Canada, Switzerland and the UK.

I should add that I have not looked at the Cooke's Circus on the www for at least a year, otherwise I would have picked up you message earlier.

Comment

Cooke's Royal Circus

It would appear that my IP is withdrawing the current service so the web page will vanish at the end of the month (July 2008) and I am not going to transfer to their new set up. Just for fun pictures of the Cookes, 1836 Manifest and the burial records for Kensal Green.
                  Attached Files

Comment

hi Cooked ... is this one of yours?

John H. COOKE M 44 M New York, America Head Equestrian

if so, check out this webpage;

British Fairground Ancestors: Travellers in the 1881 British Census Page 4 (Circus)

there are quite a few Cook / Cookes listed some of whom born in America
                    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 24-07-08, 19:36.
                    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Hello everybody,
                      I am put to shame as I had lost trace of my original mail to this site. Thank you very much! Some very interesting material there. If I am still around and not vcompletely ga-gah in four years time when I become a pensioner, I think a work on the fascinating genealogy and story of the Cookes would be in order. I became aware of the circus origins of my family at my father's funeral! I was 55 years old when I found out! By the way I am myself a Leicestershire lad, are we related?
                      Happy new year, david

Comment

John Henry Cooke

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                        hi Cooked ... is this one of yours?

John H. COOKE M 44 M New York, America Head Equestrian

if so, check out this webpage;

British Fairground Ancestors: Travellers in the 1881 British Census Page 4 (Circus)

there are quite a few Cook / Cookes listed some of whom born in America

Thanks, I really look in more often!
                        John Henry Cooke (who called himself the best equestrian of the age) is indeed 'one of mine'. The Cooke family took their circus to Ameriva in (I think) 1838 and came back after havint their circus buildings burnt down twice, probably arson. They managed to get ship wrecked off the Portuguese coast. Some members of the troupe stayed in America or went back later.
                        David Cooke

Comment

Working...
                        X