Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find marriage of Inverness man in Cardiff...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find marriage of Inverness man in Cardiff...help!

Still tying up those loose ends, which keep distracting me.

If I could find the marriage of ALEXANDER SINCLAIR b ?1815 Inverness to his wife LOUISA JONES b?1815 Wells, Frome, Somerset...it would help me confirm some IGI entries for him in Inverness. Need his father's name.

There is a BMD Marr entry for Alexander Sinclair in 12/1839 Cardiff - but not to Louisa. I know she is Jones because her mother and brother were staying during one census.

In 1841 they are at:
    Address: Lewis St Civil par: St John and St Mary Hundred: Cardiff
    Their first child Elizabeth was born 9/1841 Cardiff.

They did move to Somerset from at least 9/1844-1853. Then returned to Cardiff. He was a lab. on the railways.

Just to confuse things, his wife Louisa is called Lucy on one census but her birthplace and children right etc. so assume it was an error on the written image or a nickname. Louisa in all other censuses.

In the 1839 marriage entry above, there is a Caroline Lucy but not right surname. Can't find any of the women with that same ref in 1839 later in census, married to Alexander.

As their first child born 9/1841, it's possible they married a year or two before this. Shall I give up? Liz
    Liz

Is it possible that Louisa Jones was a widow when she married Alexander and might not have married under the Jones surname?

The birth certificate of one of the children should tell you if this is the case.

Anne

Comment

There is a Louisa Jones on the same page on FreeBMD

Marriages Dec 1839 Cardiff 26 529
      JONES Louisa
      SINCLAIR Alexander
      Last edited by niftynannie; 27-03-08, 10:02.

Comment

oooh Sue, how did you do that!! Hastens off to write letter to Cardiff R.O. - one of my favourite R.O.s - so helpful.

Thanks Anne as well. Bye for now. Liz
        Liz

Comment

LOL Sue - I didn't even bother to look there!

Liz - did you use the 'free' bit of Ancestry to look at the marriage? FreeBMD is usually more up to date. In those early days of registration there were eight names to a page instead of the four we see later.

Anne

Comment

Sue - I have a monthly sub at the moment to Ancestry and just brought up the Marriage Index free one and am still trying to find the Louisa Jones entry by searching for her name with that ref...nothing comin' up. Am I in the wrong bit? Liz
            Liz

Comment

Liz - its easier to use FreeBMD for these early years.
              Just put in Alexander Sinclair in 1839 and when you get his name click on the page number (in blue) after his name. That will show you all eight people on that page - it includes Louisa Jones and Caroline Lucy .... on the page.

Anne

Comment

Thanks Anne, I am doing something wrong...will have another go. Sorry for delay but had a power cut - only just got back on! Have done the letter to Cardiff R.O.

So excited...but having drawn out the tree for the family, haven't left enough room for Alexander's father...Liz
                Liz

Comment

Sorry didn't answer have just come back on.
                  Glad you have worked it out.lol
                  Liz FreeBMD is another site,it is not Ancestry

Comment

Thanks Sue - I'm losing it...so grateful...Liz
                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X