Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does time of birth inevitably mean twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does time of birth inevitably mean twins?

I have just received a birth certificate from the GRO with a time of birth stated. Hitherto I have found this to be a sign that the child was a twin but there is no other Evans birth listed on the same index page according to freebmd; the nearest is two pages away. I have some later certificates completed by the same registrar but without time of birth.

Any thoughts?

Peter

The earlier the birth reg the more possible the birth isn't a twin.....esp before about 1845 many registrars put a time for every birth.

If the birth was a twin, normally the "other" birth reg would be the same GRO page or only one number different.

Have you found the child on a census??

Comment

Merry,

Yes, he is on the census but no other child of the same age.

Peter

Comment

What year was the birth, Peter?

Evans.....are we in Wales for these events???? :o

Comment

1854. No thank goodness we are not in Wales; it's Streatham in Surrey.

Comment

lol!!

Have you checked the page numbers on the actual GRO page images, or just FreeBMD?

(who is it?!)

Comment

Merry,

It's John Henry Evans, and I've looked at the page images on freebmd.

Comment

Martha H Evans shows up in 1861 with a different mother!

I don't suppose Wandsworth registrars would be inclined to help by checking the original register, just to be sure, but on the surface it seems like John Henry was a singleton birth with an over zealous registrar!

Comment

That's brilliant, Merry. I did have thoughts about Martha Harriet being connected as they are both names of John's aunts. You have set my mind at rest. Many thanks.

Peter

Comment

What about the possibility of a still-born twin? would they still record the time of birth for the living twin?

Comment

I made a mistake when ordering an 1850 birth cert for a Sussex ancestor, the GRO not only phoned me up to clarify, but sent me the correct cert and a photocopy of the original page with about 10 other entries, every single one had time of birth, none were twins.

Comment

Originally posted by becky81 View Post
                        What about the possibility of a still-born twin? would they still record the time of birth for the living twin?
                        I don't think the registrars would have been asked to do that. As far as I know the reason for recording the birth time is to do with inheritance. Knowing who was first born........Though how that works if both children are called "Male Smith" or "Female Brown" I don't know! Also, if both are the same sex, you might chose to say "this one is Fred and this one is Harry when originally they were the other way round, because you decided the younger one would make a better first born! lol
                        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 27-03-08, 16:37.

Comment

Working...
                        X